Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Want to put an LS2 and 4L80E into 96 Dodge 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP! Want to put an LS2 and 4L80E into 96 Dodge 4x4

Ok...so here's the deal. I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with a 360 V8 and automatic tranny (A518, I believe). Anyway, the truck is lifted with 37's on it, and I'm sick of replacing transmissions. Dodge autos suck! I was thinking about just putting a GM transmission behind the 5.9, but would also like a little more power. Since there very little aftermarket for the 5.9 Magnum, AND what is available is higher than a giraffe's ***, I'd like to just put a GM engine in it too. I want to use the LS2 for the weight savings to get the nose just a little higher.

So, sorry for the long story, but I can't find any info on this being done before.....I'm looking for tips or sources on parts. Mainly, I'm not sure on this truck about the motor mounts and transmission crossmember. Worst case scenario is having it fabbed custom.....but, any imput would be helpful.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

well it should not be to difficult. you may have a issue with your instrument cluster. you may use the Allison trans, i may fit better to your transfer case and bolt up to the ls series to. a new wiring harness with ecu must be integrated in the Dodge. I'm not sure about the engine mounts, but it's not a problem to fix. the wiring is a bigger issue, but it can be done. just made a 72 blazer with you choice of engine and trans, so it can be done in your truck with minor modification.