Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Help: Starter/Ignition Relays

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Help: Starter/Ignition Relays

Hey everyone. I could use a little help from the electrical gurus in here. I've almost completed all of my wiring, but I'm a little lost with the Starter Relay and the Ignition Relay. I'm using the fuse boxes from a 98 Trans Am. The harness is from a 2000 Camaro. LS1 in a '68 Camaro...My question is this...

Starter Relay:
Red Wire = Power from IGN fuse/Also leads to the Ignition Switch?
Green Wire = ?
Yellow/Black = ?
Purple = Starter

Ignition Relay:
Red = Power from junction block (protected by fusible link)
Black = Ground
Pink Wires = ? (I would imagine that one powers all of the fuses that are hot with IGN on...?) Don't know where the other one goes...

Also...where do the ENG CTRL and ENG SENS fuses distribute power to?

I really appreciate the help guys. I have a stack of wiring diagrams and I have searched everywhere for the answers so I hope someone can help!

-William
Old 03-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Hmm. If anyone has a wiring diagram that includes the starter relay that would help too...
Old 03-20-2009, 06:55 PM

Default Lets see if this helps

if they're not big enough PM me and i can email them to you. They're from a 2000 Camaro.
Attached Thumbnails Electrical Help: Starter/Ignition Relays-camaro-ignition.gif   Electrical Help: Starter/Ignition Relays-battery-ignition.gif.gif   Electrical Help: Starter/Ignition Relays-starter.gif.gif  
Old 03-20-2009, 11:06 PM
11 Second Club

Just got through doing this in my '98 Z28.

If the engine bay fuse boxes are in tact, and have all the appropriate grounds and 12v supply... then the yellow wire with black stripe that's on one of the three small connectors that go from the body harness to the engine harness then to in-cab. That's the switched wire that should go thru your safety switches in your shifter and back up to your ignition switch. If you have a tester, you can pull the starter fuse(15 or 20 amp) and test from there to the pins on the small connectors to find the correct yellow wire. But if I'm not mistaken, it's the only yellow/blk wire that goes into the cab from the engine harness.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys! That was exactly the wiring diagram that I was looking for. I definitely did not have it right either. I'll keep you all posted as to success/failure tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Maybe I spoke too soon...

Looks like if you hook up the purple/white wire from the starter fuse directly to the green wire on the starter relay, and then hook the yellow/black directly to ground, you can skip all of the neutral safety switch/starter relay control business? Considering I don't have either component, this would be helpful. Has anyone attempted this?
Old 03-21-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Does your car have any of the original wiring in it? If it does, there should be a heavy guage purple wire from the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch (on the column for column shift, or under the console for floor shift models, or on the clutch pedal for manual trans cars),then from the neutral safety switch to the starter. I would use that, and get rid of the starter relay. It would simplify things. I don't think you want to hook that purple wire to the green wire you mentioned, because it's probably going to be a rather small wire.

Quick Reply: Electrical Help: Starter/Ignition Relays