Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help identify these connections....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help identify these connections....

I bought a 6.0 motor from a 2006 GMC truck. I bought a wiring harness for it and have installed that. I do have questions on what a few things are that I'm not sure what should be connected to them.
The first one is on the back of the motor on top, next to the cam sensor.
The second is a hose that attaches to the bottom of the throttle body.
And the third is a fitting on top of the intake that has a tube that leads to the back of the motor, but ends there.
Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails Please help identify these connections....-connections-002.jpg   Please help identify these connections....-connections-001.jpg   Please help identify these connections....-connections-004.jpg  
Old 03-22-2009, 04:26 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 - Oil Pressure Sensor
2 - the inlet for the throttle body coolant loop
3 - It is in the place where the EGR goes, but it has the EVAP pressure test connector on it so I am going to bet on it being the EVAP solenoid.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

to help further...

1. Don't need to hook this to anything, can remove the sensor and with an adapter use this spot for your oil pressure gauge sensor for your conversion.
2. This would be the spot for the common "throttle body coolant bypass mod" Grab the hose that leads into the other side of the throttle body, from the coolant crossover tube that connects the head and hook it directly to a coolant source for venting the upper cooling system. Maybe your conversion radiator has a spot for a small line into it? Some dump it into the upper radiator hose with an adapter, some drill and tap the water pump area or another coolant source.. many possibilities there.
3. Not doing an emissions compliant swap? forgetaboutit.....
Old 03-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys! I bought autometer gauges. The tech from there told me(email) to drill a hole in the plate that's on the block above the oil filter for the oil pressure sending unit and tap it. Mine has an oil cooler, so I'm guessing that's where the plate would have been he'e referring to. I would sure prefer to use the location where the existing oil pressure sending unit is.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
to help further...

1. Don't need to hook this to anything, can remove the sensor and with an adapter use this spot for your oil pressure gauge sensor for your conversion.
2. This would be the spot for the common "throttle body coolant bypass mod" Grab the hose that leads into the other side of the throttle body, from the coolant crossover tube that connects the head and hook it directly to a coolant source for venting the upper cooling system. Maybe your conversion radiator has a spot for a small line into it? Some dump it into the upper radiator hose with an adapter, some drill and tap the water pump area or another coolant source.. many possibilities there.
3. Not doing an emissions compliant swap? forgetaboutit.....
As far as #2 goes...... If I understand correctly, unhook the hose that isn't cut and hook that into the cooling system? Or should I put a new hose on the cut side and tap that on into the system.

No emissions. I'll forget about it.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chadroc
As far as #2 goes...... If I understand correctly, unhook the hose that isn't cut and hook that into the cooling system? Or should I put a new hose on the cut side and tap that on into the system.

No emissions. I'll forget about it.

from the factory that line goes through the throttle body and then into the cooling system. This is to keep the throttle body from frosting up in cold weather/ climates. Most of these cars (and swaps) aren't driven in very cold weather so most just skip right past that connection with the hose, bypassing any trip through the throttle body. You can leave the connections on the throttle body open, break them off, weld them shut, paint them blue, hang bananas from them......whatever, they do nothing
Old 03-23-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

For the oil pressure guage, you can get a block off plate for an F-body and drill and tap it for the sender. Or if you're going to use the oil cooler lines, you can take out the original oil sender, break off the plastic part of it, and drill and tap that for the sender. I've done both, they both work well.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
from the factory that line goes through the throttle body and then into the cooling system. This is to keep the throttle body from frosting up in cold weather/ climates. Most of these cars (and swaps) aren't driven in very cold weather so most just skip right past that connection with the hose, bypassing any trip through the throttle body. You can leave the connections on the throttle body open, break them off, weld them shut, paint them blue, hang bananas from them......whatever, they do nothing
That's awesome! I love bananas!

Seriously now... Thanks! I may have more questions for you soon.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
For the oil pressure guage, you can get a block off plate for an F-body and drill and tap it for the sender. Or if you're going to use the oil cooler lines, you can take out the original oil sender, break off the plastic part of it, and drill and tap that for the sender. I've done both, they both work well.
I have the motor all bolted in now. I'll see if I can still get at the original sending unit ok. I'd like to go that route(modifying that). i was considering using the oil cooler. I'm not sure why. Why's it even there? One thing I dont like about that idea is that when I change the oil there may still be oilin the cooler that doesn't get changed. Unless I deep the cooler high enough, I suppose it will drain back.

Quick Reply: Please help identify these connections....