Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil sending unit question-info needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default oil sending unit question-info needed

hello Im in the process to retro a LS6 in a 69 firebird and im probably going with a mech guage off the port above the oil filter, now there is a place behind the intake for an electric senser - thing is i have 2 - one has 3 terminals and one has two - whats the difference? are these needed for ECM operation? and if my 69 guage setup is electrical do i just use the sender at the oil pan port? thanks for the help guys
Old 03-26-2009, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can put mechanical or electrical senders in the 16m x 1.5 port that's behind the intake, you'll just need an adapter for your 1/8" NPT sender that's with your guages. Not sure about the multiple prong senders you already have, I'm guessing they're the senders for the stock cluster;
Old 03-26-2009, 11:10 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your sensors have more than one wire, chances are they go to something else as well.
some applications have the fuel pump wired to the sending unit, so if you lose oil pressure, it drops the fuel pump.
i have an lt1 sensor on my car and it was setup that way from the factory.
you can still use the seonsor, you just only need one wire to power a gauge.
i like using the back of the block, but several folks use the oil cooler block off fitting on the pan that you mention.
good luck.

Quick Reply: oil sending unit question-info needed