Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E trans?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4L80E trans?

I have a 99 LS1 engine I am installing in my 67 Nova, and I have the 99 computer to control the fuel injection as well. My question is if I want to use the 4L80E trans behind this engine, what will I need to do to make it work correctly? I understand there are some sensors that will need to be hooked up and how will these interface with a speedometer? I suppose I will need to get an electronic speedo of some sort, but what else might I need to know before canning my 6 speed idea? I am sure I am not the first guy to install a newer engine in an older car, and I want everything to work correctly. Thanks in advance.
Jay
Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 99 computer, was it from a 6 speed car? 4l60e car/truck or an 80E equipped vehicle??

Do you have a wiring harness? What was it from? did it have an 80E?

no matter what if you run a 60e, 80e, or T56 you will have to run an electric speedo.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 99 computer, was it from a 6 speed car? 4l60e car/truck or an 80E equipped vehicle??

Do you have a wiring harness? What was it from? did it have an 80E?

no matter what if you run a 60e, 80e, or T56 you will have to run an electric speedo.

The computer was from a 60E automatic car and no I don't have the wiring harness yet. 99 Firebird is what it came from. I was doing some research this evening since posting this message and found that Art Carr reworks a stock turbo 400 tailshaft housing to accept a cable driven speedo, so that might take of that problem.
Thanks
Jay
Old 04-01-2009, 10:44 PM

The harness will need a couple wires added to it, check out this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ompatible.html

The computer will need to be reprogrammed to operate the 80e.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:04 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did a 4L80-E swap in a truck using the 4L80 conversion harness and extra speed sensor from Speartech. I had to have the truck 4L60E PCM flashed to a similar year/truck but with a 4L80-E transmission (2500HD), but I am unsure if the truck programming will operate a car harness, I don't see why not though. I would send "Speartech" a PM and see what he can do. I'm sure if he was building an engine harness he could make it for any transmission/PCM you want.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:07 AM

The truck programming will work ok with most of the car harness, you would have to tweak the MAF tables (car and truck use diff size MAFs) and the A/C setup is a little different if your going to use it.

The easiest way to make it work is to use car programming and then do a segment swap for the transmission tables using a segment from a 4l80e truck. Either speartech or wait4me should be able to handle the reporgramming.

Quick Reply: 4L80E trans?