Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Bellhousing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 02:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L60E Bellhousing Questions

I'm in the process of gathering parts / Info for a LQ4 swap into a 72 Cutlass. I have a 4L60E with a Bell housing for an "old style" motor, Other than the 1 bolt hole? I have read that the crank flange to torque converter is different if so will the LSX bell housing work or do I need another trans? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Missing hole hsg vs "all in" hsg on an LQ 4 = approx 5/8" difference in overall length. "All in" hsg moves the mount back this amt.
As for the crank dimension, AIRC the early crank has to have a spacer in order to work.
I have pics of the 2 trans, and the late [05] engine, but none of the early engine. If it would help, I'll email them to you.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. I would appreciate the pics (I'll PM you my e-mail) I have a 96 model trans and if I understand correctly the 96 (old style) bellhousing puts the torque converter 5/8" away from the flywheel/crank correct?? Can I use a LSX style bellhousing??
Old 04-05-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw 03
Thanks for the reply. I would appreciate the pics (I'll PM you my e-mail) I have a 96 model trans and if I understand correctly the 96 (old style) bellhousing puts the torque converter 5/8" away from the flywheel/crank correct?? Can I use a LSX style bellhousing??
Its not really the bellhousing its the torque converter.

You'll need a crank spacer but the LQ4 should already have it so it should bolt up to the flexplate. You might have to elongate the holes alittle as well.

http://jeepinpete.com/engine_trans_adapt_files/engine_trans_adapt1.htm
The Gen III converters for the 4l60 have a large center section than the Gen I and hence the dish. The spacers on the crank themselves are for the 4l80's with the 6.0ls behind them with flat flex plates.

4l80 converter Note the middle used with flat flexplate and spacer on the crank

4l60 Gen I/ 4.3L smaller center hub

4l60/65/70 Note the larger center hub for the dished flex plate!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Default bell hsing & converter

I am putting an LS1 in my previously Gen 1/th350 39 Ford and I had the LS bolted to my th350 trans just to see how the LS fit at 1st. The converter had to be all the way back to fit but it did bolt up physically. I was using a 4L60 from a 2000 4.3 to check fit in the frame (Old Fords have an X-member that interferes) and ordered a trans from Performabuilt a couple weeks ago. They sell them w/o bell & tail hsing. I asked if the ones I had would work and they said the tail would but I would need an LS bell which leads me to believe there is a difference on that as well as the converter. Most of my experience is with 1st gen so thats all I have learned so far . Thanks for the insight(Bo185) on converters in the previous posts.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Bellhousing Questions