Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DBW: can it run standalone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DBW: can it run standalone?

just as the title states, can i wire the DBW to run standalone?

the idea behind this is to retrofit the throttle body and pedal from a gm dbw car to work in my fiero so i dont have to put a throttle cable in.

OR is it possible to make an ls1 or appropriate ecu run a v6 instead of a v8?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:19 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The newer DBW is part of the PCM so it would not be possible for that one (I don`t know the specific year cutoff, I think it was different for the cars and trucks and even the model of the truck).

There were a few years around 2000-2002? that used a throttle actuator control separate from the PCM, but it still did connect to the PCM with 2 serial data lines. I`m not sure if you could make it work without those serial data connections.

The LS1 PCM has been used to run other engines, in fact I think the same PCM was used to run 4.3L v6`s in the trucks. I am not sure if those trucks had DBW throttle. You may be able to get a PCM and have it flashed with a 4.3L OS and tune it to run your v6 if they used DBW on the 4.3L trucks too.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the engine im wanting to run this on is the 3.4 dohc out of a lumina or grand prix gtp. it has a cam sensor and im sure i could fab up the crank sensor stuff or get the appropriate wheel from one of the vendors to bolt to the front of the engine. i work at a machine shop so this wouldnt be that big of a deal.

anyway, if i can get by without running the ls1 or whatever pcm i would be happier, cause i want to run a standalone on it.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Send Jessie an email at wait4meperformance and ask him if he can swap a DBW segment in to PCM that will run your motor

Quick Reply: DBW: can it run standalone?