Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67-69 camaro gauge help pwease!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 67-69 camaro gauge help pwease!!!

ok guys im working on a full rewire on a 68 camaro found everything i could on the stock gage cluster which equals not much.
the guy who owns the car is wanting to keep it vintage
i guess the ls1 is gonna look vintage to hmmmmmm
its a 99ls1/4l60e combo im disecting the harness now and mounting the pcm in the front of the center console it just barely fits
is there anyway i can make the factory gauges and idiot lights work or do i need to find some kind of replacements like the 5in aftermarket ones or a dakota digital peice?
anyone make one that looks vintage but modern?

ive searched guys im stuck in hillbelly hell till i get this done im hearing banjos as i type lol

also what pin is for the check engine light? blue 46 brn/wht?? and is that a power or ground?

anyone have info on the other pins that make the idiot lights come on or are they serial?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

What gauges are you trying to hook up? Does it have factory consol gauges, or does it just have a speedo and gas gauge? If it doesn't have oil, temp, and ammeter, and just has idiot lights, just use the factory senders. The oil sender will mount the same as one for a gauge, just drill and tap the fitting above the oil filter, and the temp, drill and tap the passenger head. If it does have factory gauges, only the iol pressure would be different because you will have to run an oil line to the gauge. The easiest way to get the speedo working is to use a Cable-x, they're not cheap but the work, I've got one with 125k on it, so they're reliable.

46 brn/wht is correct for the check engine light, and the PCM grounds it to turn the light on.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
What gauges are you trying to hook up? Does it have factory consol gauges, or does it just have a speedo and gas gauge? If it doesn't have oil, temp, and ammeter, and just has idiot lights, just use the factory senders. The oil sender will mount the same as one for a gauge, just drill and tap the fitting above the oil filter, and the temp, drill and tap the passenger head. If it does have factory gauges, only the iol pressure would be different because you will have to run an oil line to the gauge. The easiest way to get the speedo working is to use a Cable-x, they're not cheap but the work, I've got one with 125k on it, so they're reliable.

46 brn/wht is correct for the check engine light, and the PCM grounds it to turn the light on.
thanks where can i get that cable x and about how much is it?
its the gauge without the console gauges but the stock haarness is mia so idk what to do about that now
Old 06-27-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

gauge rebuild is coming along great i removed all the old plugs and the copper sheet that routes to the lights replacing all the bulbs with leds ill try to get pics later

found to sending units for both temp and oil
18psi or 30psi?
200f on 170f off 220f on 190f off?

im guessing ill need to use a regulaur 149 light for the gen light or will the led have close to the same resistance?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:51 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Use a 194 light for the alt. An LED will not work for the alt or for the check engine light, it will cause you headaches in both cases.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G-Body
Use a 194 light for the alt. An LED will not work for the alt or for the check engine light, it will cause you headaches in both cases.
yep thats wat i thought i have to make a check engine light theres a dorman light is $4.99 at autozone i got it its blue cased will match the car good but idr if its an led or not.....

i meant 194 i used it and a side marker lamp socket fit great in the existing hole
ive been getting no sleep been researching trying to find a pinout for they steering colum for 2 days just found one for the light switch today

Quick Reply: 67-69 camaro gauge help pwease!!!