Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing 5.3Vortec and 4L60E in 71` LeMans

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing 5.3Vortec and 4L60E in 71` LeMans

Just bought a 1971 Pontiac LeMans that need complete restauration.
It is seperated from the frame and I think this would be a nice time for me to try an LSX conversion.

Have some parts lying around and some parst missing and need a little guidance
I have a 2006 5.3 Vortec with a 4L60E out of a Silverado that i have bougth from a guy called Oscar Juarez from Hotrodcontrols (advancedvehiclesystems and ls1andvortec) (at hotmail). It was suppose to be a complete engine and trans with a rewired harness and reprogrammed computer, fuel pump, throttle pedal. But when I finally got it to Norway the only thing I got was the engine and trans with all the sensors on it!

I have tried to send e-mails both to Oscar and to the two guys who supposely have bought his company, (Bob Santoro and Bosco Nieman) buy they don`t answer anymore!

How can I finish my project? I am thinking that what I need is a reworked wiring harness and computer. I would also need to build a fuel system.
I have the engine mount adapters. But do I need a different radiator type than the original from the 71 LeMans. I think I would need a new oilpan as well!

Ireally want to try this engine in an older car. And I am going to Detroit on August 6th and will stay for two weeks. So if someone tell me what I need i could try to pick cheap parts while I am there!

If anyone have the stuff I need lying around please tell me!

How would it be to buy a complete wiring harness from painless or speartech etc... ?

My brother also has a complete 2006 (says 2007 on a sticker on the top of the engine) 5.3 and 4L60E. It is complete with the computer and all the wiring and drive by wire throttle pedal... but I think it will need to be rewired and reprogrammed to get it running in his 67`Chevelle!

Please give me some input on this!

Btw we would both like to put headers and a magnacharger on our engines when we get them running and have the money for it!

Thanks
Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Being in Norway.. I would take the safest way possible on getting the wiring and ECM reflashed. I'd go with John at Speartech. What kind of tuning and Dyno support can you get over there ?...

Maybe if some of the guys here in the Detroit area can ping in with the parts you need, they can meet up with you. Have you put together a list of what you need or is missing ?
f
The LeMan's is a GM A-Body, so You can get away with a F-Body pan (very tight), notch a F-Body pan (maybe 2"x2"), CTS-V (would hang about 1" below x-member) or LH8 pan (would hang about 1 1/2" to 2" below x-member).. all this depends on whatadapters you are using. You can also go aftermarket Pan.

If you don't have the front accessories, you might be able to find a use set from the junk yards here (or at home). Or pick up one of the GM Front accessories kits.

Depending on your HP output, your LeMan radiator might hold up ok if it was a AC car or a Big Block car. If not.... you can find many direct replacement radiator (both brass or alum) that should work out. I found my Alum Radiator and fan setup on Ebay.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also got my 5.3/4l65e from hotrod controls wireing is almost clueless

Quick Reply: Installing 5.3Vortec and 4L60E in 71` LeMans