Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness terminology

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Harness terminology

Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered, but I haven't found it searching. I'm currently trying to figure out what needs constant power, ignition power and basically supply power to the engine harness. But I'm coming across a snag. I've found a lot of sources and wiring diagrams, but they all eventually mention a 'terminal' such as 'terminal 85.' That specific one has something to od with a fuel pump relay. Can anyone tell what this is? I can't seem to find what terminals are on any wiring diagram.

Also, how did the engine harness get power from the fuse box initially? Was all the power supplied through connections C100, 101 and 105?
Old 08-28-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The word "Terminal" in wiring diagrams just refers to a connector pin. In your case, "terminal 85" is one of the pins found on a relay. The other relay terminals are 86,87,87a and 30. Regarding the fuel pump circuit, terminal 85 should be connected to ground,terminal 86 to the PCM, terminal 30 to fused 12V and terminal 87 to the fuel pump power lead.

You are correct the power is supplied via a C connectors.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Connectors are the term for the plastic locking male/female ends on the harness. Terminals are the individual pins in those connectors.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Ok. Ok. I think I'm getting this. So I guess the next question is that how to I determine what terminal is what? I'm talking on the physical relay. Sorry to be such a pain on this. I'll check the diagrams again to try to answer my own question. Got to learn somehow!

So all the power to drive everything on the harness is all fed through those three connectors? I figured there was another terminal somewhere else. That's great news if that's true!
Old 08-28-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Greg,
Learn this and remember the members paitence (SP) as hopefully I will be asking it next spring.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:26 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greg75vette
Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered, but I haven't found it searching. I'm currently trying to figure out what needs constant power, ignition power and basically supply power to the engine harness. But I'm coming across a snag. I've found a lot of sources and wiring diagrams, but they all eventually mention a 'terminal' such as 'terminal 85.' That specific one has something to od with a fuel pump relay. Can anyone tell what this is? I can't seem to find what terminals are on any wiring diagram.

Also, how did the engine harness get power from the fuse box initially? Was all the power supplied through connections C100, 101 and 105?

Either email or PM me through my user name (click on my user name by this post) and tell me what the harness is out of and what vehicle you're putting it in (I'm assuming the vette) and I'll see what I have in wiring diagrams for it. I considered doing that swap in to my 79, but decided I'm going with a 350 ramjet, it seemed much easier, actually it looks bolt in, except for the accessories
Old 08-31-2009, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by poconojoe
Either email or PM me through my user name (click on my user name by this post) and tell me what the harness is out of and what vehicle you're putting it in (I'm assuming the vette) and I'll see what I have in wiring diagrams for it. I considered doing that swap in to my 79, but decided I'm going with a 350 ramjet, it seemed much easier, actually it looks bolt in, except for the accessories
PM sent