Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob with Question....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob with Question....

Hey guys,
I have done tons of research on this forum while doing my 6.0L swap in my 05 Jeep TJ and Im kinda stuck on one problem......the damn steam vent line!!!!

From what I have gathered searching here, its best not to plug them. Some guys are tapping their thermostat housing and attaching the line there and the GM swap manual says to put it in the highest position of the coolant system.

I have already got my radiator made. Its an all aluminum downflow radiator(more surface area than the crossflow for the Jeep). There are no ports made on the radiator for the steam vent line.

My question to you guys is:
If I put a inline T fitting in the upper radiator hose, close to the radiator inlet, will this be a good position for the line? I know its in a good position as far as hieght, but I am tapping it into the upper hose which is under more pressure than the lower hose. Will the steam line still work fine when its connected to the higher pressure hose? Im just worried that the radiator hose will try to push the steam back into the heads.

Thanks for any input....
Old 10-27-2009, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my steam vent hooked up almost exactly the way you describe, a t into the upper hose very near the radiator, it seems to work fine. I'm trying to work out the physics, maybe someone can help me with this, my theory was that trapped air or steam would rise to the top of the engine, and then would be pushed into the radiator by cooling system flow, from there it would be near the top of the radiator(saving it from having to rise through the entire rad), then it would be vented to the overflow when pressure was released from the rad cap.
Anyone see anything wrong with this?
Old 10-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

As I see it, the steam needs to get to the highest point in the system, which from the factory was the radiator. This works because the steam/air bubbles rise in the fluid of the coolant system and simply want to get to the highest point.

Upper and lower hoses are at the same pressure, as they are connected thru the radiator.

Putting it on the suction side of the water pump, either in the hose or housing makes sense because then you're pulling fluid thru that small line, pulling any air or steam bubbles with it, like vacuum bleeding your brakes.

Whats the highest point in your cooling system? In a jeep, seems like that would be the radiator..
For me, I'll prob. have to make the upper hose the highest point, and splice in a tee with a radiator cap, or splice in a tee with a line that goes to a pressurized remote reservoir at a higher point.

Last edited by spartanv8; 10-27-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 AM

The highest point will be the radiator in my Jeep. I was just worried about putting it in the upper radiator hose. From my understanding, it is the highest pressure there because its the first hose out of the pump. I just dont want the pressure to push the steam back into the heads.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Hmm.. I was under the impression that the upper hose was the WP inlet?
Old 10-27-2009, 11:21 AM

I believe the upper hose is the outlet out of the motor and the lower is the inlet of the motor. The t-stat is on ther inlet on these engines.

Quick Reply: Noob with Question....