Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 or Ls2

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ls1 or Ls2

Whats the big difference, I can get a ls1 and tranny for $3300, the ls2 is $ 5700. Is there a big difference?, I know there is 50 hp difference, but I figure a cam and a ls6 intake would take care of that?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didnt see the value in going with a ls2, i went ls1 and put the extra money in mods. im sure people perfer the ls2 for the extra cubes and ability to run larger valves but my car is not a race car.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know about big difference, but there are multiple small differences.

The LS2 has all the improvements that went into the LS6, meaning the LS2 already has the LS6 cam and more importantly the better flowing LS6 heads.

An LS2 also has a redesigned block with better oil control, the LS6 PCV breather system, full floating pins for less piston slap, better ignition coils.

The LS2 went to a different type of knock sensor and also a 58x reluctor, not sure that those matter much.

Another thing to consider is the larger bore of the 6.0L allows upgrading to L92 heads. something you can't do with the LS1 block

So ultimately the LS2 has a better upgrade potential and might be more reliable due to the better block breathing.

As for the dollar difference? Sort of your call. Mileage will make a big difference in the purchase price.

What tranny are you talking about? The later model T56 trannys are much more reliable than the early LS1 versions. If you have an early LS1 version you can almost count on a rebuild by now.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about the Trick flow set up for the ls1, not sure how much horsepower the short block will handle

Quick Reply: Ls1 or Ls2