Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want a LSX in my 71 Vette ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want a LSX in my 71 Vette ...

I've been lurking around this site for a year now - it's definitely the best place for LSX info. I want to start a LSX swap and I'm gathering as much info as possible. My original plan was a LS1, but it seems the 6.0 is the better/cheaper option. I just found a 6.0 out of a Silverado (62k miles) for $750. Could you guys throw some advice my way ? What 4 sp auto trans would work ? I believe this engine has the 317 heads - am I correct ? I know I'll need a F-body oil pan/front accessories. I assume I should find a used/cheap LS6 manifold. I won't be running a/c, p/b or p/s. I plan on getting a Walbro (?) fuel pump, s/s fuel lines, C5 vette fuel filter, motor mounts. I'll need a wiring harness, as well as DBW items. Is there an inexpensive ($300)cam I can get for a little more HP ? I would love to be @ 400hp at engine. Any other recommendations before I install engine ? What am I missing ?

Thanks so much ! Jay
Old 12-10-2009, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

I would use the LS2 manifold instead of the LS6. It uses the 90 mm throttle body with no modifications. I used a LS1 block with LS2 heads and LS6 valley cover. I put the TPIS ZL-15 cam with their spring kit for the heads. I believe it will work in the 6.0 as well. I also went with the MSD 90 mm TB since it was almost half the cost (cast vs billet) and is supposed to have better idle and street manners. Hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What model is the engine? Is it already DBW and are you going to keep it that way?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

How would you mix and match the LQ4/9 with a TAC module DBW TB with a no TAC DBW LS2 TB setup?

Originally Posted by the.erinyes
I would use the LS2 manifold instead of the LS6. It uses the 90 mm throttle body with no modifications. I used a LS1 block with LS2 heads and LS6 valley cover. I put the TPIS ZL-15 cam with their spring kit for the heads. I believe it will work in the 6.0 as well. I also went with the MSD 90 mm TB since it was almost half the cost (cast vs billet) and is supposed to have better idle and street manners. Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Jay--- would you happen to be from northern IL... and have a 3.8 in a 'vette?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been trying to do some research on the transmission dilemma and they all can be used, including your stock tranny.

But obviously you want to go overdrive, personally I would get the same transmission that came out of the truck with the engine your interested in.

Anything 1997 and down will require an adapter that you can get from GMPP (do some research)

If the Silverado engine is a 2004 or later and the transmission you get a 2003 or earlier the P/N switch plugs will be different.

The 700r4 will work but there will be some electronics that the PCM controlled to get around and you need to figure out a way to get the proper VSS signal to the PCM.

And the 4L60e transmission has no provision for your speedometer cable. You will need to fork out an additional $400- 500 for a 4L60e tailshaft adapter or buy the $300 cable X box.

This has been overwhelming for me and this is what I am doing for my 76 camaro.

I bought a used stock 1999 4L60e from a 2wd Tahoe, all the plugs will work (except for the P/N switch which I am changing out) and using a cable X box because it is a cheaper solution and you can adjust for tire / gear ratios on the fly.

Quick Reply: I want a LSX in my 71 Vette ...