Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Green 59 - "Crank Voltage"

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Green 59 - "Crank Voltage"

I've searched and still can't find an answer to my question. Does pin 59 on the Green connector from an '03 Silverado need to be brought to 12V when the engine is being cranked? or does it provide power when the engine is cranking?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Should be hot (12v) when cranking.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks, so just to clarify, I need to provide 12V to this pin from the ignition switch when cranking right?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think crank volt runs from the start position on your ignition switch to the PCM, providing it with positive current, not a ground. This will tell your PCM to hit the starter relay and engage the starter, as long as your clutch is pushed in (MT) or your vehicle is in park or neutral (AT).
Old 01-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FastKat
I think crank volt runs from the start position on your ignition switch to the PCM, providing it with positive current, not a ground. This will tell your PCM to hit the starter relay and engage the starter, as long as your clutch is pushed in (MT) or your vehicle is in park or neutral (AT).
So if I'm using the starter solenoid wire coming from the stock harness of the Jeep I'm swapping this into to start the engine, do I still need to provide a signal to this pin to let the computer know I'm starting the motor?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Green 59 is going to need a constant 12volts while the engine is cranking. You're going to need a test light to search the Jeeps stock harness to find a 12volt source that has constant 12volts running thru it while the key is being turned. Put the test light thru the wires and start turning the key. If the test light blinks while the key is being turned then you dont have the correct 12 volt source. The test light should be off while ign is in off position and it should stay lit while the ign key is being turned.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by deuce4935
Green 59 is going to need a constant 12volts while the engine is cranking. You're going to need a test light to search the Jeeps stock harness to find a 12volt source that has constant 12volts running thru it while the key is being turned. Put the test light thru the wires and start turning the key. If the test light blinks while the key is being turned then you dont have the correct 12 volt source. The test light should be off while ign is in off position and it should stay lit while the ign key is being turned.
Thanks, so can I just use the same 12V line I use to trigger the starter solenoid and run a wire from it to pin 59?

Quick Reply: Green 59 - "Crank Voltage"