76 Land cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 Land cruiser

Hey all,
Im Keith, and I live in Reno, NV.
Im putting an 01" 5.3 vortec into my 1976 FJ40 Land cruiser.
Its gonna be a toy, wheeler/ crawler

The run down:
4L60E
Howell harness
AA headers/ mounts
Aluminum rad. (griffin ,most likely)
Stock Mech. fan
NP 203
toy 19 spline split case
60 series axles (4.88 r/p)
Lockers f/r
37's (ulitmately)
FUll cage
Tube fenders

Got the motor set this past weekend.

I have a couple of questions regarding the emissions stuff.
I talked with the smog ref, and it seems that in my state anything pre 81 only requires a sniff test. Which according to him, all Ill essentially need are the first bank of O2 sensors and the cats to pass.
With that being the case...
How do you go about eliminating all the other stuff and capping it off on the motor.
In particular, the EGR and EVAP?
Also, for the 01" Im to understand that the ECM does not require the oil pressure to function. However, the Landcrusier guyz are using BOTH the toyota and GM oil sending units to get readings? Wouldnt one be able to use an aftermarket gauge to get the reading?
Anyone have a good source for chassi wiring? Looking for a decent and in expensive harness for that, that is also pretty user friendly.

Thanks advance!

Here are some pics of the install last weekend. We got it set very NICE! Everything should clear awesome. We did run into issues with the rad I picked up in regards to the fan interfering with the lower outlet...I took it back, and am now looking for a wider (19x24) radiator with dual PS inlet/ outlet. Griffin seems to be the ONLY option that Ive found.

Keith
Attached Thumbnails 76 Land cruiser-008-3-.jpg   76 Land cruiser-009-3-.jpg   76 Land cruiser-005-3-.jpg   76 Land cruiser-009-4-.jpg   76 Land cruiser-011-4-.jpg  

76 Land cruiser-006-4-.jpg   76 Land cruiser-010-4-.jpg   76 Land cruiser-012-2-.jpg   76 Land cruiser-013.jpg  
Old 02-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Teching In

That will be a great setup. You are goint to love the outcome.
I don't know about the EGR. My motor didn't even have it. You might want to ask Texican. He ran into that and I forgot what he did. On the EVAP, I just used a bolt with a flanged head to cap it off.
For the ECM questions, I would say talk to Brendan on LT1swap.com He is the one that reflashed my ECM and was very informative.
I coudn't really help on the wiring either. When I got my cruiser, I ripped all the wiring out and completly re-wired the whole thing. I bought a new fuse box off of ebay, but I don't remember the name of the company.
I would love to see some more pics.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Any updates on your build? More pictures? Do you still have it? I would like the details, I want to swap an LS into my FJ40 one day.

Arthur
Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With the egr there should be some block off plates that you can just remove the egr then put them on it in place. Then the wiring will either need to be taken out or it can be left in place, (just will not look as clean) and the computer will need it tuned out so it doesnt give you the SES light.

Quick Reply: 76 Land cruiser