Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of going lq4 in my nova...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default thinking of going lq4 in my nova...

Hi guys 1st post but i've been reading and lurking for a while. Anyway i have a 71 nova that currrently has a 355/t56 combo. It makes good power(afr eliminator heads,air gap,hyd cam) it will run mid 12's now but i want more... i was going to build a new gen1 383 but after running the #'s of cost of short block retrofit hyd roller etc....i think i can go cheaper and probally make more power with a LQ4/L92 heads/carb. thinking of selling my current sbc to start the build but i have a few questions 1st, maybe you guys can help....

1. i want to keep my manual clutch linkage zbar set up what headers/mounts will work/ clear the zbar??
2. thinking to use the manual clutch i will have to get the lakewood ls1-munice bell and use my current adapter plate...but what flywheel clutch set up should i use?
3 was thinking about this combo lq4 set up http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ads/index.html
any advise on it? the car is a driver that i take to the strip 1-2 times a year, maybe i should go next cam down? i dont want it be gutless on the low end.

any one want to buy a low mile sbc? lol
thanks!
Old 01-31-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

also...forgot looking for advise on the oild pan too? any cost effective aftermarket pans available? or is the cut up f-body the best wat to go?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Autocraft makes a nice oil pan, as for the clutch set up, I don't know. Where would the pivot for the z bar be, as there's no provision for it on any ls motor. Somebody has probably figured it out though.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

i havent totally looked into it yet but i read in a forum some where that scroggin dicky parts sells a z bar bar mount for ls engines...besides seems that would be easy to fab up if i have to.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

one step closer...have someone coming to look at my small block thursday! if i sell it i'll be looking to get a used lq4 and l92 heads next week....