Sponsored by:

VVT swap oil system questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question VVT swap oil system questions

Hey guys,

I've posted this in the Gen-IV Internal Engine forum, but it's looking like it's just going to drop to the bottom with no responses. (Maybe that's just not the place for questions that have anything at all to do with a swap, I dunno...) Now that I'm getting a bit closer to completion, I'm starting to question a couple of things & I'm hoping that someone here can chime in with answers...
First off, since the L92 is a truck engine, am I creating a potential problem by swapping to the F-body oil pan? I don't recall the capacity for each pan off the top of my head, but I do recall hearing of drain-back issues with LS-series engines, where high RPMs can pull the pan dry... I'm hoping to occasionally take part in some road-race/open-road events, so this isn't an entirely theoretical question.

Second - what is the "typical" oil pressure in a VVT engine? I know that it's considerably higher than in a "normal" engine, but I don't think I've seen a value for it. I've just purchased a mechanical Auto Meter 0-150 psi gauge to monitor it, so I'd like to know the normal range to watch for.

Finally, I've upgraded from the plastic to the copper line for that gauge - anyone happen to know the burst rating (or "safe pressure range") for that line? I would think that Auto Meter wouldn't offer a mechanical gauge unless the feed line to it was able to handle the full rated pressure of the gauge, but hell, I've been wrong before...
Thanks guys, any hard/definite info is very much appreciated.

(Oh - and as far as an update on my swap goes, I'd decided that I wasn't going to keep posting "little crap", I'd wait to post more updates until I had something halfway-decent to show. Well, Friday night/Saturday morning I had some time, & got something done that I'd been wanting to accomplish for weeks now - and my camera's crapped out. Need to wait a day or so to use the wife's... )
Old 02-01-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone?? Bueller?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running a L92 with the GTO pan and have had no problems. I do know that a lot of guys that drift with the GTO pan simply run an extra quart of oil to solve the starvation problem. I would assume that this would work equally well with the F-body pan for your track days and simply drain it out for normal driving. I would recommend running an oil cooler as well. You should have the oil cooler fitting with your L92 motor. If not you can get it off most of the truck motors.

I watch my coolant temps most of the time so I am not really sure on the oil pressure. I happen to have a L92 in my Sierra Denali and in my 240SX so I will check both and let you know. The truck is in for service so it might take me a day or two.

Hope this helps ya.

Last edited by sierrac3_s2000; 02-01-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a full 6 quarts in my LY6 using the f-body pan... i drive aggressively at times and haven't noticed anything yet *knock on wood*
Old 02-01-2010, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Did you just swap over that special plug thing from the LY6 pan to the LS1 pan and use a LS1 windage tray and oil screen tube? Is that the only mod that was required? I have an LH6 and I just ordered a camaro pan without doing enough research beforehand.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

f-body pan, windage tray and pickup tube - that was it. see sig for build thread.

Quick Reply: VVT swap oil system questions