Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help 1989 GMC 1500 -wanna go 5.3l swap -few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some help 1989 GMC 1500 -wanna go 5.3l swap -few questions

OK I got a 89 Sierra 1500 stepside 4X4 for a tow vehicle... it's got a fresh engine and trans in it -decent power -but I mean chugs fuel -I'm spending $10-$15 a DAY on fuel just getting to work (7miles each way)

My thought is that the 5.3 Vortec engine can be had on the cheap and should fit right in -but I cannot find any info on the swap.

I did find the transdapt engine mount adapters which look like a fit.

I'm still wondering about the transmission -what I'm going to need to make it bolt up... other than that I'm not too concerned about anything else.

thanks guys

-Andrew

Last edited by Andrew R; 02-23-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Depends on what transmission and engine are in the truck right now. If it is a Gen I V8 there is an adapter and six bolts needed to use the Gen III engine with an older transmission. You will need the 5.3's original flexplate with the dish or one from another Gen III engine to make things work. If the transmission you have is non electronic, all the better, just program as a manual gearbox. If it is electronic you may need a stand alone controller because Gen III engine computers can only control newer electronic transmissions.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

So let me get this straight, you're spending $10 to $15 a day in fuel to go 14 miles? I don't know what the price of gas is in NJ, but I'm going to guess about $3.50/gal, on the high side, so that tells me that you're buying about 4 gallons per day, now to use 4 gallons to drive 14 miles is 3 1/2 miles per gallon. Have you checked everything on you're current engine that may be causing the bad gas mileage? Not trying to talk you out if a swap, but was just thinking you should be getting better mileage from a new engine than that.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your truck should have a 700r4 trans which you can still use with one of those lockup kits such as the painless performance 60109. The crank spacer is made by GM or Hughes. And with the 1" setback mounts from Transdapt you should be able to leave your trans in its stock location which would make the swap a helluva lot easier.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
So let me get this straight, you're spending $10 to $15 a day in fuel to go 14 miles? I don't know what the price of gas is in NJ, but I'm going to guess about $3.50/gal, on the high side, so that tells me that you're buying about 4 gallons per day, now to use 4 gallons to drive 14 miles is 3 1/2 miles per gallon. Have you checked everything on you're current engine that may be causing the bad gas mileage? Not trying to talk you out if a swap, but was just thinking you should be getting better mileage from a new engine than that.
^ yeah I'm going to do a tune on the engine and see if that gets me anywhere... If I can get the mileage better I'm not going to swap it.

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I just figured he had a former NASCAR cup engine, but I think they get 4.5 to 5 MPG.

According to LS1Nova71's math I would look at the gas tank to make sure I didn't have a bloody leak. You're not a smoker are you - I hope not, don't want to read about you on the news!

Unless you have big 44" tires or some crazy low gearing your engine must be really fouled up and can't even be close to running smoothly.

Quick Reply: Need some help 1989 GMC 1500 -wanna go 5.3l swap -few questions