Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long oil cooler lines, LS6 pump...-8?-10?-12?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long oil cooler lines, LS6 pump...-8?-10?-12?

I'm moving my nascar pull-off Setrab 2x19x27 oil cooler from my rear wing

to on top of the radiator in the front of the car (LONG 11ft feed and 11 ft return)
to make room in the wing for the intercooler

I'm in a dispute with my buddy that's got a sick 89 S10 LS 383. He says I need to run a larger feed and return (-12) so there's less resistance but more volume.
I argue that having a larger line will bring my idle oil PSI to low, i.e. 10-15 psi.

I'm thinking a -8 would be beneficial in such a long run and will give me sufficient flow into such a large oil cooler on the street with the new F/I setup. As it is, with a 48'' -10 feed and 39'' return it's capacity is 10.5 qts. I don't think I need more volume.

Also, I'm using a LS6 oil pump. I don't have the funds for dry sump yet. It'll come.

If a long 12-14 ft (each direction) line makes the oil system unreliable, I can figure something out. I'm currently fitting a new wide body (camera died yesterday when I was planning on starting a build thread, but it's just another 993 turbo S, I might want to add an exterior LS1-TT hint though), and will have more room in the rear fenders. I might have to ditch my precious Setrab oil cooler for a smaller one with a fan. But for now, I want to try the long oil lines to the front since I won't have to add another fan and it'll have plenty of air flow with the new bumper.

So what do you think? -8,-10, or -12 running to/from a -10 moroso sandwich filter adapter?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Boy, this would be a hard one to answer unless you have already done this. I would not be able to answer this. But but like you and your friend have debated. Volume vs pressure. With that much distiance, I could see a cold start up being a problem, How long do you think it would take to get pressure to the engine ?.. maybe a presure pre-lube setup would be suggest to assist with this problem.

Yeah, the bigger the hose size, the more volume you have pump, the longer the lines are, the more pressure lost you will have. I myself would be leaning to the pressure side.. but ?, I'll be following to learn the answer.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply. Funny thing is, both my buddy and I are doing the same thing. He's going to a single front mount PT76 and he needs to make room...the radiator and oil cooler go into his bed. His lines will most likely be 7-8 ft in each direction. And they'll also most likely be -12.

I called canton racing this morning and I also talked to Louis at LG a while back about this scenario. What other shops do you think would be knowledgeable about this?