Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust movement

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust movement

I'm at the end phase of a L59 swap into a 69 Firebird. I bought a Magnaflow Exhaust system. The question is that once I fabbed it to fit, I've got no movement in the exhaust system. If I wiggle the exhaust, I'm wiggling the car...normal?? There should be just a little play....no??
Old 04-07-2010, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

you should have installed mounts with bushings that way there is play in the exhaust. if you did soild mounts, then the welds will more than likely break later on with the flex
Old 04-07-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what did you use to mount the pipe and mufflers... are they solid or have some rubber to isolate them ..

If it is as solid as you say, I would suspect that in the long run, you might end up with crack in the pipe at the mounting points and that the noise and vibration will carry in and throughout the car making it somewhat un-pleasant (unless your into that).

I would wamt a little bit of free movement and have some isolation between the system and the frame mounting points.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:20 AM
Launching!

The mufflers are on the typical rod/rubber hanger, but the end pipe had an L shaped iron with a small rubber donut which allows for pretty much no movement...I'll have to take a pic.

Quick Reply: Exhaust movement