Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Swap ??

Hey folks. I'm working on a 79 Formula into which I will install an LS1 & trans. Would someone, please, advise me on what would be the best donor car to buy. I understand the location of the engine's front accessories, and oil pan shape, can be a costly issue. Thanks for your time.
JC
Old 04-15-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

FEAD (Front End Accessary Drive) can be slightly pricey if you buy new. http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...Category=13684 Is where I got mine. I went Y-body (Vette) but you get go F-body(used) or PN # 19155166 which is like the F-body http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=248707

Engine wise, cheapest way to go is 5.3L These can be found as cheap as $350.00. These will have a truck intake which you might be able to reuse. Alot of people just switch to a car intake for looks & upper RPM use. You can score a 5.7L out of a camaro or GTO wich the FEAD which can save you $$$. But be prepaired to pay noticebly more that a 5.3L will cost. FYI... these LS engines will rack up ALOT of miles. So don't be shy of a 100K engine if it looks clean under the valve covers.(if you can pull them)

You can get swap plates as cheap as $35.00 on e-bay. You will want " 1 inch set-back" plates. This will alow you to use factory GM F-body oilpan/pickup/windagetray and help in the "factory" look. You MIGHT use factory exhaust manifolds, though the PASS side might need 98 Camaro manifold. You can also go Edelbrock swap headers. Thses can be had just over $500. and alot of people like them. You can also use 98-02 F-body headers BUT be prepared to have to "tweak" the collecters as they point out.

Other people will chime in with more and probably better options. Read and learn.

Just my .02