Sponsored by:

LS1 starter wiring dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default LS1 starter wiring dilemma

Hi everybody.

It is half past midnight here and I have been installing wiring harness all day. My brain is stuck and I am tired. Also I am not so very comfortable with car electrics anyhow. So I though it is better to turn to pros.

Here is my dilemma: I have a wiring harness from Tech Rods (exellent harness, BTW).

There are 3 posts at the starter solenoid; 1 for battery +12V, and then the other two. Originally in -68 there was other for a purple wire and the other for that white/grayish one from coil (+). I belive that I do need to connect that white/gray one with the TechRods harness pink one (it says switched +12V). This would leave the third post empty at the starter. Is that okay or am I missing something?

I have a LS1+T56 from 2001 T/A going to 68 camaro.

Anyway, I am beated and hitting the sack now. All help much appriciated.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No sure what or how they build the Tech Rod harness..

What I did for my 71 Chevelle, which is pertty much standard for the 60'/70's GM starter/ign wirering.. . I use the original 12g purple wire to activate the Starter Sol (smaller inner post ?) and a Battery 12+V to the middle post.

If there was a wire to the other post, You don't need it either. That was to provide full 12+v to the coil for start up only. Once you release the key from start to run, that 3rd inner post will go dead.

For your harness that is for switched 12+V, The FSM said the coil wire should be "20 W/B & PPL" and comes from the junction box, just make sure it stays activated with the key in the run position (not the start and use a fuse in between). Else use something from the Fuse box that is switched 12+V.

Hope this helps. and Yeah I still have many original GM Factory Service Manuals (FSM). For years I kept wondering why I kept them.. will it has paid off, cause I still have a 71 FSM and it cover both my Chevelle and Nova (along with rest of the Chevy line for those years.).
Old 06-03-2010, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
I use the original 12g purple wire to activate the Starter Sol (smaller inner post ?) and a Battery 12+V to the middle post.
That is exactly what I thought

Originally Posted by bczee
If there was a wire to the other post, You don't need it either. That was to provide full 12+v to the coil for start up only. Once you release the key from start to run, that 3rd inner post will go dead. For your harness that is for switched 12+V.
Yep that one is what I did.

Thanks for your speedy reply and tips. Very helpful indeed!

-jarno-

Quick Reply: LS1 starter wiring dilemma