Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autometer oil pressure sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Autometer oil pressure sending unit

For those of you running an Autometer electric oil pressure gauge, how did you install the sending unit? I tried putting it where the stock oil pressure sending unit is but it's way too big. I broke the plastic off the stock sending unit and drilled+tapped what was left. However the Autometer sending unit hits the back of the intake manifold and a bolt that's nearby. I found this Autometer 100psi sending unit http://www.autometer.com/cat_datadetail.aspx?pid=41 It appears to be smaller diameter. I'm waiting on an email from Autometer confirming/denying that. I've also read that some people have used a 45* fitting but I can't see how that would fit back there.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an F-body pan with the blockoff plate above the oil filter. I just drilled and tapped 1/8 NPT and put it there. Others have done it with success as well.

There should be a few threads on a step by step for that way if you need it, use the search deal and you should find something.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I've been seeing that some people have done that after some more reading. I actually pulled that off today to see if there was already threaded holes in there I could put the sending unit in, didn't even think about drilling and tapping that. I might go with that if I can't find a way to put it in the location of the stock sending unit.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not that it may help you much...

But on my C5Z, I took a failed OEM oil pressure sending unit, cleaned out all the electronics, drilled through the centerline, and tapped it. I made a couple others for some friends. I run a mechanical unit though. When you tap it, make sure you
A) have tapered threads
B) JB weld the **** out of the modified unit around the threads so as to not let any oil spill. So I have oil pressure line that goes from block to the gauge directly.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default oil pressure sending unit

hello nissan570sx, thats a simple fix. most lsx swap companys sell an adapter for the electrical sending unit. just screw the sending unit into the adapter and problem solved. the sending unit/adapter will be installed in the rear of the engine block.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Teching In

You can get the adapters from Autometer or anywhere on Ebay. Look at a seller called Nook and Tranny
Old 06-13-2010, 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dec010974
hello nissan570sx, thats a simple fix. most lsx swap companys sell an adapter for the electrical sending unit. just screw the sending unit into the adapter and problem solved. the sending unit/adapter will be installed in the rear of the engine block.
I looked into that too. However, when using the electric sending unit, at least Auto Meter's newer ones, the sender will still hit the back of the intake. I ran into the same problem when trying to put mine in which is why I did the block off plate method. Was easier than trying to find a 45* elbow or something.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a friend make an adapter so I could use my mechanical factory (1972 Jimmy) gauge and keep the factory pressure sensor so I could read the pressure with a scanner or an aeroforce gauge.

I also may someday try to incorporate a factory (2005) gauge bezel which will use that sensor for the 2005 gauge

The X is where I tapped it to 1/8NPT. You could tap a similar fitting to whatever autometer sender is?

Quick Reply: Autometer oil pressure sending unit