Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 into an 87 4wd Chevy p/u!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 into an 87 4wd Chevy p/u!

Picking up all the pieces to do this in the next two weeks. The truck has a th400 with an np203 transfercase that I will be bolting the motor up to using the hughes spacer. I was planning on using the trans dapt motor mount plates with the standard sbc mounts. I guess they will position the motor slightly forward so I will need to drill some new holes to move it back and avoid having to lengthen the driveshaft.

Anything else I should look out for? I have the ls6 cam and springs out of my GTO that I was thinking of swapping into it before I drop it in, but I am still undecided. I may just leave it the way it is and get her up and running first.

Thanks guys,
Anthony
Old 06-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

It's damn near bolt in.

Do you have any specific questions?
Old 06-21-2010, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Nothing yet, I'll have everything together and ready to go in next week. It seems pretty straight forward. I was just wondering if there were any snags or surprises I should look out for.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VERY tight at the back of the heads to firewall clearance if you don't move trans forward 1".

I've got a 86 K5 with 4" body lift, clears much better...friend of mine has a 84 2wd pickup and had to flatten a lip on the firewall in order for it to bolt up to the th350.

transdapt sells two plates. one of them positions engine so that trans moves forward 1", other set will place engine back, so no movement of trans is required, however firewall is tight. (the back of a lsx motor is flat, the back of heads, to where trans bolts up is all flat. SBC, BBc, etc the bell housing sticks out away from the back of the heads...)

let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to see if it is worth moving the whole thing forward then to gain the clearance, I would have to lengthen the driveshaft to the rear and shorten the driveshaft from the transfer case to the front axle. It may be easier to dimple in the firewall!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

It looks like the motor and harness I am getting are going to be drive by wire. Is there anything i need to do to get this hooked up to the th400? I know i need to change the gas pedal out to the elec one, not sure how this will effect the trans if at all?