Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 camaro hydroboost..,... having whoa problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 67 camaro hydroboost..,... having whoa problems

ok im finishing up my 5.3 t56 swap into my 67, i opted for a hydroboost setup. car has front disk back drum. i got the corvette master cyl that everyone uses and my problem is that im driving along and i barely press the brake and they lock up. its very hard to keep it from locking up. what can i do to increase pedal travel or reduce pressure so theres a medium between off and lockup
Old 06-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Default brakes locking up

I just converted an old jeep to hydroboost and had to put a brake bias valve in the rear brake line to stop it locking up.

It hauled up great after fitting the valve with no brake lock ups.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I would say the problem is in the Corvette master cylinder as they're for 4 wheel discs. Are you locking up the rear, or all four wheels?
Old 06-27-2010, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

You just need to get a larger bore master. The smaller one makes the brakes way too touchy.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its locking em all up. at first it was the back more (i know this is gonna sound bad but its just for testing reasons) then i introduced some air into the back brake system to use the front more and now all four are lockin up at the same time.

if i go with a larger bore master cyl. wont that require less pedal travel though?? cause i already dont have much pedal travel. is it possible to get more pedal travel and make it lock up less??
Old 06-27-2010, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I can't remember which hole my brake rod is in, but the larger master will make a huge difference. On my camaro I use a larger master and have wonderful brakes. On a buddy's camaro, I kept the manual master when it was converted and his brakes are like yours. When he get's tired of it I'll switch to the same master I have on mine.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RNation0001
its locking em all up. at first it was the back more (i know this is gonna sound bad but its just for testing reasons) then i introduced some air into the back brake system to use the front more and now all four are lockin up at the same time.

if i go with a larger bore master cyl. wont that require less pedal travel though?? cause i already dont have much pedal travel. is it possible to get more pedal travel and make it lock up less??
What year model corvette master cylinder are you using?

C2's Prior to 67 used a short pushrod

67 C2 & 68 up C3 up use a long pushrod

Hydratech say both of those can be used with front disc & rear drums. Also offer 1.0" or 1.125 MC Bores.

If you purchased as a kit check part number to see if MC uses a short or long pushrod.

They also list a camaro master cylinder speced for disc / drum with residual pressure valve equip for disc/ drum setup.

* GM Camaro Style Master Cylinder
* 1.125” Bore Disc / Drum Spec
* 1/2-20 Front Port – 9/16-18 Rear Port
* 65 / 35 Nominal Front to Rear Output Bias
* Residual pressure valve equipped for use with front disc / rear drum brakes
* 3.400 GM Spec Stud Spacing with 3/8” Bolt Holes
* Features a .250” MC pushrod hole for use with power brake only
* Front Port = Front Brakes / Rear Port = Rear Brakes
* Conventional flare style ports – brake line tube nuts included with MC
Hydro
Old 06-27-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i believe its the 78 corvette mc.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok guys thanks for helping me i found the problem. im not sure what the problem was but im goin to say there was air trapped in the hydroboost somewhere. one day i decided to take the belt off and drive up and down the driveway a few times using no help from the hydroboost to see if it went from slight brake to lockup just like when i used the hb. well i did it about ten times and it braked really well with the exception on me having to press hard. after that i put the belt back on and bam. awesome brakes now with no lockup unless i press pretty hard. but now its great i can stop and go without using the manual tranny as the main brake lol. just thought id let everyone who helped me know what the problem was

Quick Reply: 67 camaro hydroboost..,... having whoa problems