Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone used motor plates instead of motor mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone used motor plates instead of motor mounts?

whose plates did you use, and how did you make sure everything was oriented.

Im planning to go plates but I dont have my driveshaft yet. want to make sure everything is straight so I dont start breaking parts when its driven.

any tips, advice welcome
Old 07-17-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

If not repositioning the engine lower/farther back, use the stock mounts and build your motor plates off the front. Once the plates and frame brackets are in place, remove the original mounts and install the travel limiter

If the engine is getting moved then level the chassis and break out the angle finders and levels
Old 07-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have pics on this page under Carbed LS1, it sets the motor way down and back,which is exactly were you want it,i used an LS1 S&W racecars 2-piece motor plate and a Comp Engineering mid plate but we ended cutting it up pretty good due to the trans.tunnel on a GBody getting in the way.People are also worried about header clearance,as you can see from the pics there is plenty of room.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pocket
If not repositioning the engine lower/farther back, use the stock mounts and build your motor plates off the front. Once the plates and frame brackets are in place, remove the original mounts and install the travel limiter

If the engine is getting moved then level the chassis and break out the angle finders and levels
thanks for the info. I was hoping I could level the engine to the chassis. I had read somewhere that it had to be at exact ride height( which I dont know yet) and that worried me.

it already has a midplate in it from having a bbc, and I want to keep the same location to avoid having to refab the mid mount, which I believe will set it back about a 1.25" so I wont be able to use the stock mounts, but maybe I can use the midplate as a guide.

another question. is it safe to use spacers on a midplate? say I want to keep the current mid plate mounts, but space the engine forward .25 from the midplate. are spacers OK?

Originally Posted by skidmarkSS
I have pics on this page under Carbed LS1, it sets the motor way down and back,which is exactly were you want it,i used an LS1 S&W racecars 2-piece motor plate and a Comp Engineering mid plate but we ended cutting it up pretty good due to the trans.tunnel on a GBody getting in the way.People are also worried about header clearance,as you can see from the pics there is plenty of room.
thanks man. how did you have to cut the midplate to work?

Quick Reply: anyone used motor plates instead of motor mounts?