Sponsored by:

no oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no oil pressure

need some advice

just put a 00' 5.3 into my offroad buggy, swapped the truck oil pan to a moroso unit with their pickup & remote filter set up.

started it last night for the first time and have 0 oil pressure

after doing some research (ls1-tech) it appears that the o-ring might not be seated well at the pump causing the pump to suck air instead of oil

while i have the pan off to check for this is there anything else i should check???

or is there anything else i should look at before dropping the pan????

Thanks!

btw, i have a mechanical gauge and have taken it loose at the block, no oil is reaching it (cut off stock sender then drilled and tapped for the mech. sender)

looked into remote oil filter lines and they were dry also.

i have 6 quarts in the pan and 1 qt in the filter. i know it will take more but figured that would be a good start?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I also have the Moroso pan and pickup, but didnt have any issues getting oil pressure. Check the famous o ring. When you installed it did you use some grease so it slid into position well? If you didnt you should. Also check the pickup itself for blockage, also, if you can check the clearance between the pickup and the pan floor (use clay or similar).

One issue with LS engine is priming the oil system isnt easy. Since you are using remote oil filter setup you can easily do it. Depending on where your filter is and your lines go to, you could pour some oil your filter supply and return lines, fill your filter, pull the spark plugs and disable the injectors and coils, and roll it over on the key for a while.

I think Ive also heard some thing about putting vasoline in the pump, but Im not sure about that one.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Something worth doing while it's apart is the BRP oil pump girdle/support also. It uses both bolt holes to seat the pickup against the pump. Helps prevent mis-seating the pickup from happening.

I just like the peace of mind for ~20 bucks.

Also, FWIW, I couldn't get my oiling system to prime in my car. We cranked it for like 40 seconds and nothing. Started it up and BAM!, 90 psi of cold idle oil pressure. That said, you should have oil pressure within a second or two of the first cold start, for sure.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

If your engine is a pull out that has setup for a while might just need to be primed. I would try to prime it first before pullimg the pan. How do I know. I pulled mine 3 times thanking it was oring related. NOT... Got luck. Primed it 11k later still running perfect.
Rocky
Old 08-16-2010, 08:27 AM
FormerVendor

We heard of quite a few problems with the O-Ring and the pickup tube not sealing correct, that exactly why we developed our pickup tube girdle. Before you pull the oil pan back off, I would try to purge the system. But if you remove the pan and your pickup tube isn't sitting perfdectly flush I'd suggest orderign our pickup tube girdle to make sure your pickup tube site flush and is held in plave with both bolts.
http://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/mercha...gory_Code=CNV1

Quick Reply: no oil pressure