Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Make your own mounts vs. brp kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make your own mounts vs. brp kit

I'm trying to get as much info about my motor swap as possible. I'm putting an ls3/t56 in to my 74 f body camaro. BRP makes a swap kit, but i've heard + and - things about them and can't decide, plus making my own motor mounts and tranny crossmember would definitely be cheaper. Has anyone ever done this? How hard is it? Do you suggest any company that has a good product with a good price?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Our 2nd Gen kit fits really well, if you go our website you can look at the installation guide and see what is involved with the installation before you decide which way to go. Since you mentioned price, we do offer a 10% discount for LS1TECH members. Our kit uses the 4th Gen F-Body pan which sits flush or just above the K-member without any modifactions. The frame brackets bolt-in and have the correct bolt holes for both early and late subframes.
Jeff
Old 09-28-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Time is money to me... I figured for the amount it would cost to buy vs. the time it would take to build. I just bought my mounts; it was not worth spending several hours fabricating mounts when I could just buy some for $70.00 and move on to other items that needed to be fabbed. I did build my own cross member because I did not want to spend $150.00 on something I can get built in 1 hour.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I build my own mounts. I just hate paying someone else to do something I can do myself.

This way, I can put the engine exactly where I want it. Here are some pics of mine, and I have only about 2 hours in the entire fabrication. I just used the OEM trans crossmember that I modified very slightly.
It is nice that we are finally getting a bunch of pre-made parts for these swaps, but if you are capable of doing the fab, do it yourself. You will have a lot more pride in the car knowing that you actually built it yourself.

http://img.villagephotos.com/imageview.aspx?i=25958858

http://img.villagephotos.com/imageview.aspx?i=25958869

Regards, John McGraw
Old 09-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Made my own in less than 1hr.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dido on making my plates for my A-Body and now my X-Body... yeah. I guess I am cheap.. but as stated, it like how and where I want it.

And it didn't take that much time just using hand tools (files, drills, Tap, grinder and a few cutting wheels).
Old 09-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Here is the deal. If you want it to fit and and not have to fool with it buy the BRP headers and mounts and be done with it. Its a bolt in deal. It also depends on how good you are a fabrication and how particular you are with finish quality. If you have access to a water jet and powder coater and do not mind spending hours fabricating and mocking up your own mounts then I would say build your own. If not just by the BRP. They look good and fit good.

Quick Reply: Make your own mounts vs. brp kit