Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep YJ 5.3L swap (completed)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's always amazing what some think will pass for safe wiring.

For the PNP switch on the side of the trans:

Feed the pink wire with 12V+

The Light Green Wire is the back up lamp feed and will be 12v+ when in reverse.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Docked Wage
Now for the next part of this build I'm going to add Air Conditioning to the Jeep.

I spoke to the tech guys at Nostalgic Air and they say I can use the compressor that came with the engine (2005 LM7) I have.
Did you finish installing AC in your jeep? I have a 95 YJ with an LS1 out of a 2002 WS6. My jeep had under the dash mounted AC when it had the 4.0, but was removed when the LS was installed. Could you PM me with the parts you used to complete the AC install? So far you are the only guy I've come across on the net that has done an LS swap in a YJ and wanted AC. With the humid Oklahoma summers AC is a must and I'm going on my third summer after the swap without AC. It's time to get AC back in this thing! Thanks!
Old 05-29-2015, 06:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did not install AC in the Jeep. Within days of moving to the Sunshine State I removed the top and doors. They have been stored in the attic for three years now so AC would not be a wise investment here. If the Jeep were a primary vehicle I would have definitely added it but it is one of five vehicles so it only gets driven occasionally.

That said, when I did look into compatibility between the aftermarket under dash systems and the factory LS compressor there are no issues as long as you have a fixed displacement compressor. As far as identifying fixed vs variable displacement I have forgotten how to do so but I'm sure someone on the forum has posted the info.

Regards,
Old 06-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Teching In

I did not install AC in the Jeep. Within days of moving to the Sunshine State I removed the top and doors. They have been stored in the attic for three years now so AC would not be a wise investment here. If the Jeep were a primary vehicle I would have definitely added it but it is one of five vehicles so it only gets driven occasionally.

That said, when I did look into compatibility between the aftermarket under dash systems and the factory LS compressor there are no issues as long as you have a fixed displacement compressor. As far as identifying fixed vs variable displacement I have forgotten how to do so but I'm sure someone on the forum has posted the info.

Regards,
Thanks.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:59 PM
Teching In

I see some people talking about using S10 components. Does that include the transmission? The YJ that I bought had a 4.3l conversion with a Jasper rebuilt trans in it that I assume was built for the V6. Could I use that trans if I swap in a 5.3 l or would it not be strong enough?
Old 06-15-2015, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

It will bolt right up. You will need to get the adapter for the torque convertor to bolt to the flywheel though.

Also, the V6 convertor I believe has a little higher stall speed which is not a problem.

If it is a 4L60E you will need to know exactly what year you have because there were a few changes in the late 1990's that can add complexity as far as wiring and PCM tuning goes.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:17 PM
Teching In

It will bolt right up. You will need to get the adapter for the torque convertor to bolt to the flywheel though.

Also, the V6 convertor I believe has a little higher stall speed which is not a problem.

If it is a 4L60E you will need to know exactly what year you have because there were a few changes in the late 1990's that can add complexity as far as wiring and PCM tuning goes.

Thank you for the quick reply. I would purchase the proper converter so I don't need an adapter but not sure how to tell what year the trans is. It is a 4L60E and I found a jasper tag on it but have not been able to get them to respond to emails as to what it is. I was hoping to call them but didn't get a chance during normal working hours today. Once I know what vintage it is I will get back to you if you think you could help sort out what I would need to do to get it working. The engine I purchased is out of a 2002 Escalade but was in a Jeep with a manual trans so I believe that I will need to get the PCM flashed for a 4L60E.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

From the factory the trans has a white tag with a date code in the Julian format. Since it is a reman it may not be there.

Is the trans case a single piece casting or a two piece with the housing over the torque convertor a separate bolt on section?

If you search for the term "4L60E differences" you will find a ton of info on how to identify what you have.

As for the PCM it will need a tune to at least to remove VATS and set it up for standalone.

If you want more info just search my name on the web and give me a call.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:37 AM
Teching In

From the factory the trans has a white tag with a date code in the Julian format. Since it is a reman it may not be there.

Is the trans case a single piece casting or a two piece with the housing over the torque convertor a separate bolt on section?

If you search for the term "4L60E differences" you will find a ton of info on how to identify what you have.

As for the PCM it will need a tune to at least to remove VATS and set it up for standalone.

If you want more info just search my name on the web and give me a call.
Ken,

Thank you for the response, when I know more I just may give you a call, I appreciate the offer.

It is a 2 piece housing and I was not able to find the date tab. I would have thought Jasper could give me more info from their tag but no luck so far. I had been told that the V6 transmissions had different internals and would not hold up to the LSX engines so I was curious about what others were finding.

The PCM was in a stand alone app in a Jeep but with a manual trans of some sort. I need to do some more research on calibrating to find out more. I have and EFI Live programmer that I can use if need be but would prefer not to buy another license unless I can get enough value out of it.

Regards,
Greg
Old 04-02-2016, 10:31 AM
Teching In

What did y'all do with the vacuum lines
Old 04-02-2016, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Which ones? The only one I know of is Brake Booster.

My Axle is a manual disco so I did not have to worry about those.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Teching In

I'm just getting ready to do the swap and trying to soak in as much as I can
Old 04-03-2016, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Does the advance adapters reluctor kit plug into the GM vss plug? And did you have to keep the yj computer to run the stock gauges seen where some tj guys are doing this
Old 04-03-2016, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ken,

Once again, I've come back to your thread for more advice on my YJ conversion. So close I can taste it! Just wanted to say "Thank You" for your help!!
Old 04-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Hello Ken. Your post was the first I studied before attempting my "03" 5.3 and 4L60E swap into a 93 YJ and I have a rebuilt 8.8 ready to install as soon as I have all the variables fixed on this part. I even have the book "LS SWAPS" which had a feature on you. It has worked fine except for a couple small things. I was wondering how you were able to get the stock speedo to work with out the original PCM?

Here is my build/swap if you are interested.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...mance-3299289/

Thank you for any help you may be able to find.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stranglerwrangler,

Yes, the Advance Adapters kit VSS plugs up to the LSx harness. And earlier in this thread is the wiring schematic to power the Jeep VSS in the transfer case to drive the stock speedometer.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Ken I should have waited. I found I had cut the supply power from the factory PCM to the speed sensor which ultimately feeds the speedometer when removing the factory PCM because of the wording in the factory manual and I failed to trace the schematic. I thought the power came from another source. I just will wait till Wayne gets back to me on whether I can use the speedo lead from the PCM or supply 12v from a "run only" supply fused circuit. Thanks so much for a superior write up.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:59 AM
Teching In

All the 88-95 s10 cases I've found are 5 bolt isn't the 4l60e 6 bolts? All the 6 bolts I've seen are np233c. Any help
Old 05-14-2016, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stranglerwrangler88
All the 88-95 s10 cases I've found are 5 bolt isn't the 4l60e 6 bolts? All the 6 bolts I've seen are np233c. Any help
I don't know when this was posted, I don't see a date on it.
I figured I'd give my input.
I am in the process of doing this swap into an 89 Cherokee, but with the 4.8.
I ended up having an issue with the transfer case. If using the later 4l60E with modular bell housing, the way to go is with Advanced adapters VSS kit, which gives the reluctor ring and sensor to bolt onto the 6 bolt 4l60E case. It makes it a 4 bolt like the 700R4. Then get the 700 adaptor from an S10 with the 700, that has the 5 bolt pattern for the 231C. The issue I ran into was, the yard that sold me a 231C, sold me a 96/newer 231C, ( didn't know the difference then) which has a bigger input seal housing that won't fit the 4 to 5 bolt transfer case adapter, but it had the 4 gear planetary and 1 1/4" chain. I ended up finding another 231C from an 89 S10, which had the right input seal housing but the same 3 gear planetary and 1" chain like the 231J. I got found a front output shaft on eBay from a Dodge 231D, which has the same splines for the yolk as the Jeep, but is for the wider chain.
So all in all, I used the front case of the 89 231C, planetary and chain from the newer 231C, front output shaft from the 231D,
the rear case of the 231J, with an SYE kit, and now I have a stronger transfer case and can still use the Jeep drive shafts. A long explanation, but I hope this helps!
Old 08-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Hello Ken. I hope everything is OK. I see your Jeep is for sale on eBay. I really wanted to buy it but my wife said I was crazy, then again I already knew I am.

Quick Reply: Jeep YJ 5.3L swap (completed)