Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox Mustang ls turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fox Mustang ls turbo question

I am about to start gathering parts to do a ls swap into my 89 coupe drag car. I am still undecided on which engine setup I will use, but have a question concerning going turbo. It will be a blow through setup. I see where people use the 351w headers with ls flanges for exhaust, but will this also work on a set of turbo headers and allow the crossover pipes to work with minimal mods? I don't see any major issues other than making the crossover wider and maybe rerouting the downpipe some. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Billy
Old 12-09-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No sense investing like that when the truck exhaust manifolds are cheap, good into the high 7s, and fit great when flipped to front dump.
There's no scavenging with turbocharging behind long-tubes, because the turbine(s) is(are) such a restriction.
Maybe get the manifolds extrude honed and / or ceramic coated.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Teching In

I was referring to using an actual set of turbo headers and the rest of a complete kit and adding ls flanges. If they would work that way and someone already had them laying around, that would make it pretty easy. I can get one for almost nothing locally and was wondering. I guess i will find out in a month or two.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Launching!

I have a set of Shorty LS truck headers that I cut the lower flange off of and am going to weld V-band clamps on

I think it is the best bet for those wanting headers over using the truck manifolds without paying a lot for a full turbo hotside
(Don't get me wrong, I know you can make a ton of power with the manifolds)
Old 12-10-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I finally get it. You found a bolt-in turbo kit for a 351W, but just want LSx flanges to attach the 351W shorties to the LSx heads, right?
GMPP sells the flanges, and so does Speedway Motors. I'll bet Summit and Jegs also have them.

Quick Reply: Fox Mustang ls turbo question