Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any LSx 98+ S-10 turbo's out there? Looking for some pics of exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Any LSx 98+ S-10 turbo's out there? Looking for some pics of exhaust.

Well, I've scraped the swap in the thread in my sig. Got a 98' short bed regular cab 2wd s-10 as a replacement. Have a built LS-6 in the works. But for the moment, this Summer, I will be installing my LQ-4 to get the truck running and a new motor in. The 200k mile 2.2 is beat.

Once the built LS-6 goes in, I want to put a single front mount turbo on. But I cannot find any pre built hot side piping. Looking for trucks with any LSx engine with a front mounted turbo for referance. Looking to have the turbo on the passanger side up high. So the down pipe will be exiting on the correct side of the truck.

Once I start the swap this Summer, I will start a new thread with pics of the swap.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oct03gto
Well, I've scraped the swap in the thread in my sig. Got a 98' short bed regular cab 2wd s-10 as a replacement. Have a built LS-6 in the works. But for the moment, this Summer, I will be installing my LQ-4 to get the truck running and a new motor in. The 200k mile 2.2 is beat.

Once the built LS-6 goes in, I want to put a single front mount turbo on. But I cannot find any pre built hot side piping. Looking for trucks with any LSx engine with a front mounted turbo for referance. Looking to have the turbo on the passanger side up high. So the down pipe will be exiting on the correct side of the truck.

Once I start the swap this Summer, I will start a new thread with pics of the swap.

Thanks
Good luck with the front mount, those engine bays are small! There was a guy on here that did a remote mount T70 in the bed, and has since changed to a Fox body. Might look around a bit more.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From the internet:

This one is on the driver's side: It's an S10 2-door blazer with a front mount. The owner purchased it from a shop in Kansas. It also has a C5 Vette instrument cluster.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/f...-truck-374387/

http://ss.lencolab.com/

Last edited by philntx; 01-26-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by STEEPSS
Good luck with the front mount, those engine bays are small! There was a guy on here that did a remote mount T70 in the bed, and has since changed to a Fox body. Might look around a bit more.
That was me, biggest hurdle is that there is no stock manifolds that fit facing forward or any direction. The clearance by the steering shaft and brake booster is so small that you would have to build custom headers, if you have the resources to do that then you are in the clear. then even once you do build custom headers there is not much room to fit a decent sized downpipe between in the frame to run out the back, if you dont mind dumping the downpipe under the hood your good there as well.

I moved to the fox body for a few reasons, not wanting to build custom headers being one and and i wanted to do a fox body before i built the s10.

Basically its doable but not as easy of a build of a hotside as some other chassis's can be. And as far as i know no one builds hotside's specifically for the swap.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a turbo Buick GN motor in my '96. I had to use a set of U-joints on the steering shaft for (V-6) header clearance, scallop the PASS floorboard just to fit a 3" downpipe, and cut the hell out of the radiator support to get the ('85 vette) radiator + A/C condenser + front-mount behind the grille. No room for the trans cooler, it's on the frame rail under the bed... Yup, S-10's have a pretty small engine bay!
Old 01-27-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help everyone.

As far as the first pic, that is very similar to what I was thinking of building. But the following pics look like there was too much moved around.

I do not want to run anything in the wheel wells. As I will be running a 265 front tire and big brakes. I will be retaining the A/C system. Using Vette ront drive setup.

I will most likely be building the hot side one off. But I am hoping to be able to run a 3.5 inch down pipe. I cannot just do a dump under the front of the truck. It will be a street truck I will need to "pass inspection" and be livable on the street.

The battery will be in the bed. I might remote mount the ECU somewhere else other than on the coolant tank. The coolant tank will be mounted on the radiator support as a 1/2 gallon tank.

Sounds like alot. But I am looking for a challenge and some fabricating.

Quick Reply: Any LSx 98+ S-10 turbo's out there? Looking for some pics of exhaust.