Sponsored by:

LM7 engine with LY5 computer??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LM7 engine with LY5 computer??

Hello all, this is my first post.

I am aquiring parts for a swap in the next few months. I am taking an early 90's BMW 5-series (E34) and putting an LM7 mated to a T56 in it. This is just for daily driving. Not hot rodding it or modding it really.

Just yesterday my engine arrived and the trucker and I got to talking once I told him what it was for. He said that his car has the 5.3L engine in it with the advanced fuel management (LY5/LMG) and commented how on his long trips he gets around 33mpg. I was stunned which is why I am now here.

Has anyone or does anyone know if you can run the LM7 on an LY5 ECU?? Or, is there something specialized as far as sensors in the engine block/head for monitoring that would make this not functional or overly complex?

Also, are the LY5 equiped cars DBW?? My LM7 came DBW but I will be swapping back over to throttle cable.

Thanks in advance guys!

Brian
Old 04-12-2011, 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

AFM Motors are going to be a GEN IV engine.... it has the displacement on demand stuff reliefs cast into the top end of the block, along with a different type of lifter for the AFM Cylinders, and the electronics in the top where the knock sensors are in a GEN III engine.

Not to mention, you would need a completely different wiring harness than something that would work for the LM7, along with a completely different set of sensors. And then there's the matter of swapping to a 58x reluctor for the Crank sensor.

If you are looking for better mpg, swapping the computer will not achieve that. Simply put, that engine will not work with a DOD computer.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Perfect information and exactly what I was looking for.

Best bet is to watch the mashing of the loud pedal in regards to my gas mileage. Then again, thats why I have a race car.

Quick Reply: LM7 engine with LY5 computer??