Sponsored by:

LS1 (modded) vs. LS2 in an Rx7

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 (modded) vs. LS2 in an Rx7

Hey fellas,

I'll be doing an LS Rx7 pretty soon and would like to get some opinions.

What would I need to make an LS1 perform and behave like an LS2 (hp, tq, higher redline etc.).

I've also been told that there are some oiling issues with the LS engines. I know there is some type of oil baffle system floating around in the forums but a friend of mine also suggested modding the oil pump. Do any of these have any real merit?

Any info would be appreciated.

Yea I should probably search more. Sorry fellas.

FYI, I'll be going with the samberg kit with some hinson bits for electronics and harness modification.

On a side note, if anyone knows of any LS1s and LS2s (with drivetrain and any other misc. stuff) please lemmie know! I'm located in NJ.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

stay away from the '98 engines. Lots of it is NON-interchangeable

Fbody cars:
'99-00 had LS1 intake, rougher port castings and more EGR stuff
'01-02 had LS6 intake (worth 10-20rwhp), better port castings (worth 5rwhp or so) and less EGR stuff

Rod bolt design in the '01-02 was supposedly improved as was oil pump.

If you are buying a used engine it would be a good idea to install a new oil pump (ported LS6 is good choice) and LS2 Timing chain. If you are doing that... you may as well install a cam as well . Upgraded rod bolts are good insurance if you spin it above 6500rpm.

An LS1 can hang with an LS2.... but the LS2 with same mods will make more power because it has more cubes.

That being said with a low mileage '99 shortblock, upgraded TSP 233/239 cam/AFR 205 heads/JTR headers, ported LS6 oil pump/LS2 Tchain/Katech rod bolts, LS6 intake/ported TB in a 2800lb FD (no driver) LS1 swap I went 128.3mph best in the 1/4. 430-440rwhp depending upon which dyno you believe. The car will haul ***.

Go on norotors.com for swap related ?'s. A few vendors on there can modify your harness as well.

Last edited by gnx7; 04-14-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

What year Rx7 are you doing the swap on? Might also consider the LQ4/9 6.0l iron blocks.

definatly check out NoRotors.com there is a lot of helpful info there
Old 04-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Thanks gnx. I definitely see you around 7 club alot haha.

Thanks for the advice. Just what I was looking for. I'll hit up norotors soon! As much as I want to mod the engine while its out, I feel bad for the guy doing the swap. If something goes wrong, it will be hard to find out whos fault it is (faulty engine or faulty mods). My mechanic seems to prefer swapping the engine first and doing mods later as well. All the mods you listed seem very appealing though haaa.

Formula, I'll be swapping it in my piece of junk 94 touring car!

Quick Reply: LS1 (modded) vs. LS2 in an Rx7