Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM Location

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 05:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ECM Location

Hey I was wondering where you were able mount the ECM with a factory length harness. Particularly in an A-body. I think I have enough length to put it on top of my glove box but don't want to cut a hole in my freshly smoothed firewall to find out my too short.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

From what I understand, the ECM needs to have some airflow as it runs a little hot. I was thinking of putting it inside too, but decided against it and mounted it in the engine bay of my truck.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Could you run some string from under the dash to one side of the firewall and then from the other side of the firewall to where everything would connect? That would give you at least a rough idea if you are even close or not.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I think its pretty close.

The engine bay is going to be much warmer than the inside of the cab. Plus all the elements.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Unless the car harnesses do not have all the extra wire that a truck harness does you should be able to run everything inside the car. I have been looking at my truck harness (2004) and except for a few wires it looks like I could take all the wires out of the loom and disconnect them from the plugs on the computer and run them all inside the car with a lot of surplus wire. My problem would be that current performance modded my harness and the fuse block is pretty close to the computer which could make interior mounting a little more difficult.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you un-wrap the harness and re-position the connectors and wires.. you will be able to exten the wire to the ECM a bit.

I mounted my ECM inside the Cab on top of the TransTunnel.. more than enough for that. I have build a small console with gauges and lights to cover the ECM.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

I am gonna be able to mount it on top of the glove box. It will be about the perfect length.

Quick Reply: ECM Location