Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure issue

I swapped a 5.3l into my 91 z28. its been running fine until the other day it ran out of gas, i put gas in it and now the fuel pressure only goes to about 20psi and tries to stall if i push the gas. fuel pump is one of those ebay ones ( i know junk but ive used them a bunch of times before and never had issues). i just replaced the O ring on the gas tank but still get the same fuel pressure. im trying to find a cheap stock ls1 fuel pump to put in it at least. im wondering if its my stock fuel filter.

im just kinda confused because if the pump was bad wouldnt it just stop working all together?

i did try searching and couldnt find anything.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Real common problem, not only with cheap pumps,but expensive ones as well. When you run the car out of gas, the pump has no gas to cool the pump with and the nylon end plate melts in a just a few seconds of running. If there is one thing I learned after ruining a brand-new Walbro pump, it is when the car runs out of gas, do not keep trying to start the car. I was only a block from the house and figured I could nurse it home. After about 10 or so restarts, I ruined the pump. These pumps are not at all forgiving about being run dry.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 05-23-2011, 02:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found out its the crappy vette regulator i bought. goin to get this VW one that works just as well if not better.