Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dummy light.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dummy light.

Anybody see any reason why I couldn't wire up the fan control, off the ecm, to the dummy light on the dash of my Chevelle. I'm an runnin a flex-a-lite black magic fan and it is all self contained as far as temp control goes. Also would I need a relay or would the the ecm be able to support a bulb or led, I haven't decided which yet but if it makes a difference I could go one way or the other. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Why do you want to do this? You want a light to come on on the dash when the fan is supposed to come on? I think that would be annoying. But to answer your question, as long as the light bulb didn't draw any more current than the relay would, I would think you would be ok, but if in doubt, just wire the relay to turn on the light. An LED should work with out the relay as they draw very little power.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

I planned on turning up the fan on signal so that it would act as a over temp light. More just so all the lights on my dash are functional not just for looks.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are your trying to get the light to turn on at some temp?..

Why not just find or use the oem sender to ground out the 12v light, would just have to find one with the correct ohm range. ? just a thought.

That is what I did for my Oil light. have a pressure gauge and the idiot light for oil pressure.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:16 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That should work just fine. Just remember that the PCM puts out a ground signal so you may have to run a relay depending on how the other side of the dummy light is wired.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bczee
Are your trying to get the light to turn on at some temp?..

Why not just find or use the oem sender to ground out the 12v light, would just have to find one with the correct ohm range. ? just a thought.

That is what I did for my Oil light. have a pressure gauge and the idiot light for oil pressure.
Yeah, I thought that since I'm not using the fan control from the ecm I could use my HP tuner to change the fan signal to say 220* and have it turn on the light instead of the fan. I will still be using a gauge also. I don't think the overtemp warning on my truck comes on til bout 250* and I will be runnin a 160* thermostat, so if it gets to the 220* mark before I noticed it on the gauge I would still have enough time to get to a safe place to stop.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by G-Body
That should work just fine. Just remember that the PCM puts out a ground signal so you may have to run a relay depending on how the other side of the dummy light is wired.
I believe that is how the light is wired as well, so should work out good.

Quick Reply: Dummy light.