Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in my 79

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in my 79

Hello,

I recently sold the 406 out of my 79 malibu, and will be replacing it with a LS1. I have been reading a lot of threads and stickys, lots of info on this great site.

I have noticed that a lot of the G-body conversion threads on here are a few years old, and many of the guys still had their AC box, along with full accessories on the newly installed LS1. My malibu will be more of a strip car than street. AC delete panel, no power steering, and probably keep the TH350.

Since more and more people have been doing this recently, what are your opinions as to which combo of headers+mounts work the best?

Thanks
Old 08-06-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The setback mounts will give you more options for oil pans and accessory drives. With the 1" setback mounts like carshop incs or transdapt you can use an f-body pan or cts-v. Pacesetter f-body headers will work with minor work on the passenger side header. Here is my modified header. It was pie cut about an 1/8" near the flange, bent inward and rewelded. no clearance issues.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in my 79-pacesetters.jpg  
Old 08-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

i didnt even do that to the pace setter headers. all i did was heat up the tube around the bend that touched the frame rail and hit it with a hammer and piece of wood. bends the tube without making dents
Old 08-06-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by bigmandengo
The setback mounts will give you more options for oil pans and accessory drives. With the 1" setback mounts like carshop incs or transdapt you can use an f-body pan or cts-v. Pacesetter f-body headers will work with minor work on the passenger side header. Here is my modified header. It was pie cut about an 1/8" near the flange, bent inward and rewelded. no clearance issues.
Do either of you guys recall the part number of the headers you got from Pacesetter?

I think I read that someone used the long tube race #70-2256 on a build? I've seen almost a dozen combos of headers and mounts. But I think everyone has to tweak the pass side one way or another. I dont think thats a big deal at all.

Thanks Chris

Quick Reply: LS1 in my 79