Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member Needing Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Needing Opinions

Hello. I frequent this forum daily for the last years but finally decided to join since I may actually do a lsx swap. I am either looking at a 5.3 or 6.0 carb in a gbody.

My question is on the 6.0 bare block I have found. It has the cracked starter mounting point. I know it is recommended to upgraded to the truck starter. From the pictures does it appear that this can be repaired like the rest have been prepared? I ask because I searched and check out a few vehicles that had this happen and I dont recall seeing or reading one that had the mounting point break like this. It also appears to be missing another piece. Pass on this or can it be fixed for a reasonable price? If it can be fixed I can most likely get it fixed for free.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the crack could be vee'd and TIG'ed. You can probably replace the missing piece with a chunk of 6061 stock and TIG that in place too.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like a few of the mounting bosses for the accessories (a/c) are busted off also. without the piece to finish the repair on the starter i say pass. 6.0 blocks are not that hard to find, and the 5.3 is even cheaper. depends on what you want to do whether you need the 6.0 or not. just my opinion-pass
Old 08-13-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen threads where guys have had the starter mounts welded back on when the motor was still in the car.

but like said above that one has multiple breaks. Probably a good one to pass up.

Quick Reply: New Member Needing Opinions