Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info on a cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on a cam

I have a LM7 out of a 06 silverado that I'm putting into a 1978 Trans Am and looking for a cam. Need some suggestions on this topic. I want it to have a noticeable lop to it. And i dont really want to have to change springs if i can get away with that. Any suggestions.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:44 AM
TECH Resident

Any thing that is going to have some lope to it generally requires a spring change. It is just good practice and generally the cam manufacturers match a set of springs to your cam of choice.

Something with more lift/duration with be moving the valve faster - slamming it open and closed faster...you'll thank yourself in the morning.

That being said, I really like the Lunati LS cams. For off the shelf cams they work well. Others will come on here and give their stories...it's all about what you are looking for.

Good luck in your search!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 for what Banditdave said on the Springs..

You can get a set of OEM LS6 spring pretty cheap or use a set of Comp 918's and you will be good for most mild cam upgrades (LS6, GM Hot Cam, GM ASA, TR224, Comp Thurmpr, etc).

Better to do it right the 1st time.

BC
Old 09-16-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ive got the larger LS6 cam with the LS6 springs. and it doesnt lope like my old chevy sb400 did even with the smaller magnum 305cam.

You will have to have new springs and a large cam with a large stall. make sure thats what you are looking for.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try looking at the Comp Thurmpr cam. .it is designed to get the more Old school lope..

Valve overlap, duration and LSA are what helps giving you that lope you want. Many well say a smaller LSA (105-111) will make the engine lope, most of the newr OEM cam have a very large LSA, 116-117 to help with passing smog and bleed off compression for a smoother idle. But it really has to be the overall specs of the cam to run good and sound like you want.

But check with the Inernal engine section for CAM info, sound clips and suggestions.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for the info, will change springs.

Quick Reply: Info on a cam