Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

404ci won't start with tranny connected!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 404ci won't start with tranny connected!

So i got my motor running w/o the tranny connected. Seemed to barely have enough juice to crank, but it did it. My ground was complete ****.

The battery is located in the trunk, i have a 1/4 bolt to the frame with dual 2 gauge wires, and a 1/0 from frame to block. I will drill the holes bigger for a bigger bolt, but i figured for now it would be enough. I have a 2gauge to the starter, from starter to the alternator. Then for the hell of it, i added another 2 gauge to the alternator effectively making it two 2gauges wires to the starter.

While i try and crank it, the voltage drops down as far as 6volts. This is with a second running car is jumped to it as well.

What am i doing wrong. is my starter/bat going? the 1/4 bolt not enough?
Old 10-08-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try a different battery, just to see?
Old 10-08-2011, 12:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although the stud size (bolt in frame) is important, what is more important is that the face of the terminal lug is in contact with bare metal of the frame either through a washer or direct contact. If the connection is solely through the stud, you might have a high resistance point. Get a ohm meter and test all of your connections for resistance. Your wires are plenty big, and if you have a good battery, than you have a major resistance somewhere in the system. It's almost always at a connection in the ground side.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're running the positive side from the battery to the starter and then from the start to the alternator in parallel? That second wire from the alternator to the starter is really not necessary. It might actually cause an odd back-feed while cranking. It's possible but not likely.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying another battery next. But i think i may just go with thicker cables throughout and be done with it. I rather over size them and be sure. I spared almost no expense on my engine, tranny, and fuel system, i might as well do the same on the electrical.

Ill keep you guys updated regardless. I will be doing a resistance check on the ground from battery to block regardless.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
...What am i doing wrong. is my starter/bat going? the 1/4 bolt not enough?
I'd go up to at least a 3/8" bolt, sand all the connection points, and use some dialectric grease on them...
Old 10-08-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about just connecting the Battery up front and directly to the starter, just as a test.. ?

Quick Reply: 404ci won't start with tranny connected!