Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to LS conversions & have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LS conversions & have a few questions

To start I'm looking for a fairly low miles 80k 5.3L w/ trans, wiring, computer, & all accessories to put in my lead sled & I hope to get one old enough without all the VVT, DOD, & AFM stuff thats cable driven for ease of install.

1) How much should this be worth? & how much without a trans?
2) How do i tell the difference between the 4.8L & 5.3 that is out of the truck? I've got another engine located but its out of the truck so I figure i better know what i'm looking at first.... I've heard there is a engraved tag on the headgasket or something?
3) Is there a way to tell the mileage of an engine without having it in the truck that runs? Can this info be received from the OBDII port?

I thought I found the perfect setup last weekend that was in a wrecked 04 Silverado that runs/drives but it had a "V" for the 8 digit aka 4.8L
Old 10-19-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksths2
To start I'm looking for a fairly low miles 80k 5.3L w/ trans, wiring, computer, & all accessories to put in my lead sled & I hope to get one old enough without all the VVT, DOD, & AFM stuff thats cable driven for ease of install.

1) How much should this be worth? & how much without a trans?
2) How do i tell the difference between the 4.8L & 5.3 that is out of the truck? I've got another engine located but its out of the truck so I figure i better know what i'm looking at first.... I've heard there is a engraved tag on the headgasket or something?
3) Is there a way to tell the mileage of an engine without having it in the truck that runs? Can this info be received from the OBDII port?

I thought I found the perfect setup last weekend that was in a wrecked 04 Silverado that runs/drives but it had a "V" for the 8 digit aka 4.8L

The engraved tag on the headgasket will say 4.8 on all 4.8 and 5.3.

You should be able to get a complete setup for under 1k. I got mine for 1k with the trans.

Its hard to get mileage on a pulled engine, but pulling the valve covers and looking at the condition inside is a good indication on how the engine was taken care of and if it got hot. if it looks like clean aluminum or if it looks like burnt oil.

Dont discount a 4.8 those are great motors as well. with a good cam they pull some great numbers.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 74novacustom
Dont discount a 4.8 those are great motors as well. with a good cam they pull some great numbers.
Agreed, the 4.8 is actually a great budget boost engine... or so I have heard lol

Most 5.3's in my area are split between 99-01 and 02 for some reason with the cross over reference at the Salvage yards. The closest one to me lists six '02 5.3L's for $300 each, and trans goes for $350-400, PCM for $30, and wiring harness could come with engine or maybe not.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only way to distinguish between the 4.8 and the 5.3 is to look at the pistons. 5.3's have dish pistons and 4.8's are flat tops. Bring a piston up to the top and see if you can stick a coat hanger or something flexible in the spark plug hole to feel if the pistons dish.

You could always just pick up the engine, accessories and wiring/computer then run an older 700r4/th350/th400 etc. It may be cheaper than keeping the electronic trans. There was a 5.3 locally for $250, complete. I picked mine up with 70k miles for $400.

Good luck!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

wow thats cool, the 5.3L around my area are expensive then. Most salvage yards are $800 with no accessories & no trans but with computer,wiring & pedal if needed.

I figured those 4.8's were not valued at all, i mean the one i found thats in the 2004 2WD silverado truck & i can hear run & drives has 131k for the mileage. I'm assuming thats pretty high mileage? How much would i have to give for that & i pull it all myself?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Hello?........BAM BAM BAM.......is this thing on? lol

Quick Reply: New to LS conversions & have a few questions