Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel System Limits

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel System Limits

I'm in the process of educating myself on my fuel system needs. Going with a Carb'd LY6 in a 69 C10 pickup. Im planning 550fwhp tops. From reading on Holleys site, their blue pump should be up to the job and I should get by with 3/8 line. I have a brand new "resto style" blazer tank that mounts under the bed. It has stock 3/8" barb output on the sending unit and a couple different return ports (smaller). I plan to run the Power Tour 2012 in the truck, but realistically its a weekend toy with little/no track time. My worry is the tank setup is going to limit my fuel system, but I'm not having much luck finding information on this subject.

Any advice/experience would be great.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I find you get conflicting information on this topic. In general I find the manufactures recommendation are a good bit more conservative than what guys actually have success with on their cars. The two links below say you really need a 140 gph pump with a return style regulator and 1/2 inch send and return line to support your HP level. If you ask around guys running that HP level, or at least thinking they do, generally get by with 3/8 inch line and may or may not use a return regulator.

This one has good background info

http://www.centuryperformance.com/fu...e-spg-140.html

This is what Mallory recommends for their products.

http://prestoliteperformance.com/Por..._4150_5250.pdf
Old 12-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A-Dub
I'm in the process of educating myself on my fuel system needs. Going with a Carb'd LY6 in a 69 C10 pickup. Im planning 550fwhp tops. From reading on Holleys site, their blue pump should be up to the job and I should get by with 3/8 line. I have a brand new "resto style" blazer tank that mounts under the bed. It has stock 3/8" barb output on the sending unit and a couple different return ports (smaller). I plan to run the Power Tour 2012 in the truck, but realistically its a weekend toy with little/no track time. My worry is the tank setup is going to limit my fuel system, but I'm not having much luck finding information on this subject.

Any advice/experience would be great.
Holley blue is way to small. Check out Weldon fuel pumps.