Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to remove (external) snap rings on the Slip Yoke without damaging them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remove (external) snap rings on the Slip Yoke without damaging them?

im doing my first slip yoke change ever. i was wondering how i would go about removing the external snap rings without damaging them, so they can be reused(or should i just buy some new ones online? - my local parts store dont carry them)

they look like this(found the imagine online):

once i get the 2 external snap rings off, will my slip joint just come off?

thanks everyone. this is one my last steps in my swap!
Old 12-11-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used anything from screw drivers to vise grips.. Usually you get new snap ring with new Joints.. I am supprised you didn't (if that is the case).

I have used anything from a BFH, some tubes, sockets, large Vise, and boards and a press to remove the old joints.. but the Press is the best way.

If I don't have a press.. I would use a BFH, a Large Socket and a brass drift or bar. And then Press or knock the U-Joint out each way a bit at a time using the socket (or tube or large vise) to support the Yoke or drive shaft..

But if your worried.. Most shop with a press would usually do it for a low cost..

I would suggest you google "How to replace U-Joints".. you well get lots of hits.. here is one YouTube hit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OEWW8vkOjg
(may not be the best way.. don't know why they have to use a cutting wheel !?)...
Old 12-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Thank you!! It cleared up alot

Do most guys remove the whole drive shaft/assembly from the car before starting? Should I change all the U joints while I'm at it?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, removing the driveshaft is the best way. It can be done in the car, but why fight when you don't have to.

If the age of the u-joints is unknown and you are doing a swap, why not replace them... very cheap insurance.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 109 Likes on 97 Posts

Jack up the rear of the car and put on jack stands since when you pull the drive shaft out some fluid may leak from the tranny....use vice grips to remove the clips...a vice and a socket of the right size works good for removing the cross and caps, but a BFH will work in a pinch
Old 12-12-2011, 02:26 AM
Launching!

Thanks everyone! I will definitely take a stab at it this coming up weekend!

It's almost winter break for me(school), all i need to do run my trans. cooler lines, change my slip yoke/ u joints, change a front caliper, install my shifter, solder a few wires and she will be finally get her down the road! cant wait! - i still need to save up for a glasstek cowl before she returns to being my daily driver though.(hate minimum wage lol)

Quick Reply: how to remove (external) snap rings on the Slip Yoke without damaging them?