Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Built AWD Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this works out but I don't think it will ever get anywhere close to finished. Too much ambition.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With only 2"-3" of engine block sitting over the rear axle, I think a 2007 truck oil pan is gonna work great for my set-up. No mods required and they can be had on the cheap. There's afew more $$$ saved in the total budget.

Here's a pic of the oil pan I found in one of our conversion stickys...

Name:  07_truck_oil_panpn12609074.jpg
Views: 4867
Size:  35.6 KB
Old 01-02-2012, 02:44 AM
Teching In

LS would look nice under the glass, but you might want to try transfering some weight to the front or the the tail end wil go sliding everywhere. Good luck with the build, I hope you get your dream car in the end.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:12 AM
9 Second Club

Subscribed. Interesting build...
Old 01-02-2012, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hate to be a pessimist, but odds are good this will end up like the rest of the budget AWD setups that show up.

That said, I wish you good luck. Would certainly be interesting of successful.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:00 AM
8 Second Club

damn you now i'm thinking of a rear engine camaro !

why don't you look into a porsch twin turbo AWD trans?

your engine/trans layout would change but it would free up some space inside .

look up G96-50 trannies , they incorporate the rear diff, transfer case and trans all in one compact package ( slightly bigger than a T56 ) and they give you the correct power bias front to rear. the only drawback is that you would need to convert the rear suspension to IRS .

Last edited by 1dirtyZ; 01-03-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:34 AM
8 Second Club

here is how it looks mated to an LS1

Name:  100_2402.jpg
Views: 5112
Size:  174.1 KB

and how the output from the trans looks :

Name:  100_2418.jpg
Views: 5098
Size:  197.9 KB

another pic og the same type of trans but flipped to make it a mid engine setup ( no AWD):

Old 01-03-2012, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good, sounds like your getting it down, Ill be happy to see it finished considering your only about a hour an 45 away from me lol
Old 01-03-2012, 04:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
damn you now i'm thinking of a rear engine camaro !

why don't you look into a porsch twin turbo AWD trans?

your engine/trans layout would change but it would free up some space inside .
Glad to hear it

And yes, at one point I was considering the porsch set up, I was even using your build thread as reference. I decided against it because I felt that would throw too much of my engine aft. Plus with what I'm doing for engine placement, it's nice and centered under the back glass.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by flippincamaro
Looking good, sounds like your getting it down, Ill be happy to see it finished considering your only about a hour an 45 away from me lol
Then it's a pretty good chance you'll see it, I tend to hit the local car shows in the area. It's just been a bit since I've been able to park in the show.

Had to sell my last hot rod just to recover from my college debt

Name:  MyoldVette.jpg
Views: 4876
Size:  45.8 KB

I'm set up now, so I won't be letting that happen again.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Looking through the pictures of that vette that was converted... there is no way the driver had room to comfortably sit or drive that car if the frame they pictured and the body were mated together. The foot-box would be almost non existent. The forward drive shaft looks like it sits right where the drivers leg should go.

If you're trying to get everything to fit, you're going to have to get that engine as far back and low as possible. I don't see how you could even consider a truck oil pan, those things hang below the cross member by like 3 inches.

If you do it, this car could be cool because it's different... but I don't see how it would perform any better than a nicely set up 4th rwd gen. You're using a truck transfer case... I just don't see anything light and performance oriented about a truck transfer case. All I can think is how much more complicated Audi, Evo's and WRX's mid diff's are compared to this and how if effects their handling. I hate being negative, but I just don't get it.

K.I.S.S. ... just sayin'
Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Ive had a blast recklessly throwing subarus into four wheel drifts for the short five years that ive been driving, a well set up awd drivetrain is impressive. The bw 4472 case is more than race proven by the syty guys i think its the best choice for a high hp awd car.

1dirtyz, that porsche setup is the best tech presented in this thread besides what the OP has proposed. I think that what you are trying to do is far from impossible Turbinesurgeon, but I bet the G96 would be the better performing/cost effective route.

That said I now see what you are getting at with placement in the car, id actually pictured it like the porsche setup would be with the engine basically in the hatch/gas tank. I still think the porsche setup will give the best 1/4 times, the car would hook up really well.

There was a holden monaro that used a 4l60 with an awd setup. It may have not been a production vehicle but might be worth finding out what the factory used for a front diff.

The noise is going to be awesome haha
Old 01-05-2012, 12:45 AM
8 Second Club

thanks smurray

actually i think the monaro is a production unit, but only for the ozzy market

another thing to look into is the caddilac sts AWD system
Old 01-05-2012, 01:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interesting, subscribing

Dont let the naysayers get you down!! People like you keep the gearhead community alive!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by claytonisbob
Looking through the pictures of that vette that was converted... there is no way the driver had room to comfortably sit or drive that car if the frame they pictured and the body were mated together. The foot-box would be almost non existent. The forward drive shaft looks like it sits right where the drivers leg should go.
I don't know how, but they did it.

To the original poster, best of luck to you. Seems like a really cool idea.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:34 AM
Launching!

This is pretty awesome! I have always thought it would be cool to do something along these lines but sadly, I haven't the know-how to complete a build like this. Keep at it!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful - that truck pan is really really deep. There are similar more shallow rear-sump alternatives from the F-body, LS2 Corvette and CTS-V.

Originally Posted by turbinesurgeon
With only 2"-3" of engine block sitting over the rear axle, I think a 2007 truck oil pan is gonna work great for my set-up. No mods required and they can be had on the cheap. There's afew more $$$ saved in the total budget.
[/IMG]
Old 01-05-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I remember hearing speculation about a build like this, it got a lot of similar criticism.

That said, i know you know whats going on turbinesurgeon, ive seen your posts before; my only qualm with the build is the same as dirtyz/smurray, i think the porsche trans would allow for less weight, better packaging and (most importantly to me) proper power bias. with all of this fab work you plan on anyway, couldnt you achieve a nice "engine under glass" effect while also keeping a more rear-heavy/rear-powered (read:fun/performing) car? Id imagine that would achieve an awd-monaro-on-a-diet effect, but without having to pay outrageous prices for stock parts (porsche tax excluded)

Dirty and his thread have all the info on the german stuff, but heres the monaro setup aka cross trac, along w the cadi setup and this gent's try at an awd 1st gen: http://www.projectawdcamaro.com/parts.html
Old 01-05-2012, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Been having fun fabbing up the plates I'll be welding in for the square tubing and reading afew post. Lots of good ideas coming out, and by all means keep them coming. So little information is floating around about AWD conversions, and the work it takes to make them happen.

It's been said in quite afew builds on this site, and it is very good advise. "Once you plan out your project, stick with it. Changing the plan as you go more often than not leads to a failed project." I'll be sticking to my outline as much as possible, and here's a better veiw of what I have in mind

I'm no auto cad drafter, but I do all right with paint. I made afew pictures to better show what I have in mind. I think these locations should be fairly close to what I have marked off in the car. The seat backs will be just in front of the bell housing.

Name:  GarageBuiltAWDCamaroDrivetrainLayout.jpg
Views: 5008
Size:  43.9 KB

The part I'm laying out now is the frame work. Putting a backbone down the center of my car using square tubing. It's easy to work with and not a whole lot of special tools required. I've got my car stripped down to the frame, so I can see all the structure built into the unibody. The frame work will tie the drivetrain to the car.

Name:  GarageBuiltAWDCamaroChassisLayout.jpg
Views: 4848
Size:  30.5 KB

The "space to be had" I'm looking for can made raising the floor, mounting the seats farther apart, flush mounting the seats to the floor, and by rear-mounting the engine under the glass. I'm 6'4", and before I took the car apart the roof was 3" above my head. I'm confident I can make it all fit nicely.

Irish350 added the link to another good AWD Camaro build, that like mine isn't finished yet. Check it out
Old 01-06-2012, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

When comparing these 3 pics is that throws me off. Those forward drive-shaft hoops look like they'd be right in the middle of the floorboard right through the gas pedal area, and yet there's not even a recess for it.

Name:  Resizeof101_2549.jpg
Views: 5543
Size:  70.7 KB

Quick Reply: Garage Built AWD Camaro