Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM7 + T5 92 Camaor swap questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LM7 + T5 92 Camaor swap questions.

My neighbor asked for my help with one of his projects.

The car is a 1992 Camaro RS, it currently has the stock 305 with a T5.

The goal is to swap the 305 with an LM7 wich the customer has purchased and leave the T5 alone( this project is going to be a budget build so the T5 is staying if possible)

My initial questions are:

Will the LM7 bolt up to the stock T5?

If it does, will the aftermarket engine brackets move the T5 from its original position(we would like to keep the stock transmission crossmember)

Is there enough clearence on the crossmember for the LM7 oil pan?

I have done some research, but it seems most people replace the transmission too so i havent found too much info on this engine/trans combo.

Here is a pic of the car.
Attached Thumbnails LM7 + T5 92 Camaor swap questions.-img_20111230_123953.jpg  
Old 01-03-2012, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy

Originally Posted by tonyss96dcm
My neighbor asked for my help with one of his projects.

The car is a 1992 Camaro RS, it currently has the stock 305 with a T5.

The goal is to swap the 305 with an LM7 wich the customer has purchased and leave the T5 alone( this project is going to be a budget build so the T5 is staying if possible)

My initial questions are:

Will the LM7 bolt up to the stock T5? Yes

If it does, will the aftermarket engine brackets move the T5 from its original position(we would like to keep the stock transmission crossmember) No, IIRC, the trans should stay in the original location.

Is there enough clearence on the crossmember for the LM7 oil pan? Some K-member notching might well be needed click on my pic (below) for more details, and/or see the LS-swap forum on TGO.

I have done some research, but it seems most people replace the transmission too so i havent found too much info on this engine/trans combo. There's a reason for that, see below...

Here is a pic of the car.
GREAT project, but an absolutely $HITTY transmission! Even the (so called) "World Class" T5s start becoming iffy somewhere around 350-400 ft/lbs of torque.
(There's a reason that you couldn't get a T5 behind a 350-equipped car from the factory!) And you can't even build 'em up, because the damn CASE for the T5 doesn't have enough strength to live behind any real power!

I'd really suggest that you guys consider what alternatives might be acceptable to you/him...
Old 01-03-2012, 06:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

It will bolt up, but I dont know of any LSx flywheel/clutch that will fit in the T5 bell housing. There may be an aftermarket solution. You can bolt up a 621 style bell housing and use an LS1 flywheel/clutch but that will eliminate the 15 degree cant the T5 bellhousing positions the trans at.
So that will affect the trans position and crossmember.
The truck oil pan hangs way to low to be used on anything but trucks. There are a few 3rd gen f body swaps, check what they used for a pan.
Nice project btw.

Quick Reply: LM7 + T5 92 Camaor swap questions.