Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this conversion possible? 2nd Gen camaro on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this conversion possible? 2nd Gen camaro on a budget

I hoping to start another project in the near future but I want to do it on a budget. I just finished a frame off restoration on my chevelle but I would like to have a car that is more of car that I don’t mind daily driving for 9 months of the year.

Goal
Create a UNIQUE daily driver that is reliable, efficient, and fun for UNDER $8,000 including the price of the car. I am fine that the car has character(crappy paint, tired interior) Down the road I will make upgrades to the engine, suspension, and appearance.

Vehicle
Since I want to the vehicle to be unique but I don’t want to do a lot of fabrication. So I am leaning towards a 2nd gen Camaro. While not rare you don’t see them often driven.

engine/transmission
An LS based truck motor (LM7, LQ4 etc) with an automatic.

Is this possible? How realistic is my goal?
I am fairly capable as I did most of the restoration on my chevelle except spraying the color, engine/trans/carb rebuild, and seat upholstery. I feel I am capable I just nee to make the commitment.

Vehicle $3000
Engine/transmission $1200
exhaust- used manifolds for now $300
motor mounts, oil pan $200
new fuel tank, weld in sump $300
fue lines $100
New engine/trans harness $800
Shorten driveshaft $100
new aluminum radiator with electric fans $700
Shift linkage/ throttle linkage pedal $200
trans lines $30
speedometer/tach ???
air intake $100
Misc stuff- $1000 radiator hoses, brake lines?, calipers? Possibly suspension compents? Rear end
wheels tires- I have a few set of rallys with newer tires to pick from.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very realistic. You actually are being generous on your money for each item you've listed. It can be done for A LOT less. Buying the car is obviously the biggest expense.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
Very realistic. You actually are being generous on your money for each item you've listed. It can be done for A LOT less. Buying the car is obviously the biggest expense.
Thanks for the responce.
I know how projects work... "While I am there I should install new bushings, and I should paint it as well"

Do you know of any threads that are similar to what I am hoping to do?
I am hoping to sell my corvette this spring so I can start on this project.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No threads specifically. Just search Conversions section for each area of the build you want to research. Most people on here are pretty good on advice. You don't need a new or stronger rear end. Rebuild the front suspension with readily available kits. Use a radiator and fans from a 98-02 Camaro/Firebird, your PCM will control it. Harness from PSI Conversions(Call them). On and on and on. Ask and you will receive the advice.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

I can tell you now, that if you want to save a lot of time, and expense, you'll want to start off with a car engine, rather than a truck. The first and biggest reason is the intake manifold will not fit. It 'can' be fitted under a large cowl intake, however thats additional cost. Or you can swap to a car intake, again, additional cost.

Next will be accessories. Truck alternator sits up way to high. Again, can be solved with large enough cowl. Even still, power steering will likely be an issue next to the power steering box (conflict).

Save yourself the hastle and get an ls1 or equivilent. It will be more money up front, but it'll be the most 'bolt in'. Accessories from cars sit closer and tighter to the engine, right intake, and connected to a car like transmission (not that trucks aren't). If you get an f-body ls1, and are able to get exhaust manifolds with = cost saved. Also, it'll be aluminum, so shave an additional 60lbs from that saving.

Fuel will be difficult and simple all at once, due to tank location and limitations, but these can be overcome. See nastyz28.com
Many builds there.

Quick Reply: Is this conversion possible? 2nd Gen camaro on a budget