Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Toyota Pickup LM7 T56 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Toyota Pickup LM7 T56 swap?

Awesome forum i've been reading for over a year and just recently joined. So i'm wanting to do an LM7 T56 swap into my 91 toyota pickup that has been in the family since it was new. It was my 1st car and the one that I learned how to drive a stick in. So with that being said I have only seen one succesful lsx swap into a 2wd toyota like mine. Was wondering if there was any reason why besides that its ugly and not much to be desired on a performance stand point but all that can be changed. Just wondering if there is something i'm missing that makes this swap more difficult than any others out there? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by azToy91
Awesome forum i've been reading for over a year and just recently joined. So i'm wanting to do an LM7 T56 swap into my 91 toyota pickup that has been in the family since it was new. It was my 1st car and the one that I learned how to drive a stick in. So with that being said I have only seen one succesful lsx swap into a 2wd toyota like mine. Was wondering if there was any reason why besides that its ugly and not much to be desired on a performance stand point but all that can be changed. Just wondering if there is something i'm missing that makes this swap more difficult than any others out there? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ugly? Maybe I'm biased but they're still the best looking compact trucks to have been made.

My guess why you don't see more swaps is that they hold their value pretty well, so buying one for a project is undesirable for the 2wd ones. Most that already have one want to keep it running as is and don't have a desire to do what's a lot of work, time and money for a result most 2wd toyota pickup owners don't care about.

I don't have a "how to" for it, but here's mine; https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...rive-time.html

Basically had to cut and expand the tranny tunnel, cut off and made new engine mounts, new tranny mount, f-body manifolds, I used a H3 pan, would use a F-body pan if I were to do it again, relocated alternator and a mix of GTO and stock power steering lines connected to the factory GTO pump.

Most everything else is down to wiring, which I used this site to figure out.

If you have a welder, time and money you'll enjoy the end product.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:33 PM

I only say "ugly" because my girlfriend in high school was not too fond of the truck but guess which one is still around lol. Awesome build I was wondering how the factory rear end would do with the new found power and had already thought of the 8.8 so good to see that you had too.

My biggest concern isnt time or welder and seeing as I dont need this thing tomorrow the money will come with time. How was the wiring thats one thing that has kind of worried me looking at the factory harness for the toyota and a lot of the body electrical appears to be tied into the engine harness.

Thx for your response and glad to see that someone else has had the same dream and fulfilled it.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Default Toyota Pickup Swap

I have been driving my LS6 swap for the last 4 or 5 years. Mine is an 87 with the front torsion bars which makes the area for exhaust very tight. I don't know if your newer model has coil springs instead - which should make routing headers easier. These things are not real cornering brutes but at 2600# the acceleration is surprisingly quick. I found that an Exploder 8.8 will bolt directly to the leaf springs and the wheel bolt pattern matches the Toyota. My swap was low budget, its loud and with solid mounts it vibrates but it is always a thrill to drive. Good luck with your project. Mac
Old 03-07-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by azToy91
I only say "ugly" because my girlfriend in high school was not too fond of the truck but guess which one is still around lol. Awesome build I was wondering how the factory rear end would do with the new found power and had already thought of the 8.8 so good to see that you had too.

My biggest concern isnt time or welder and seeing as I dont need this thing tomorrow the money will come with time. How was the wiring thats one thing that has kind of worried me looking at the factory harness for the toyota and a lot of the body electrical appears to be tied into the engine harness.

Thx for your response and glad to see that someone else has had the same dream and fulfilled it.
LOL, girlfriend didn't like it. I see.

My truck was carbed originally so I didn't have to worry about the toyota EFI system, sorry I can't comment on that. Usually though if/when the body harness and the EFI harness are bundled together it's not very hard to separate them in older vehicles. Just make sure you label everything.

Wire for the LS, simplest I ever dealt with. Between the all of the info on this site and spend a little time in the garage with a label maker and the harness I had my engine running in a lazy week. Then I just had to stuff it in the truck.

The factory rear is holding up fine, can't say I really abuse it... but wont say I take it easy on it either.
Originally Posted by under pressure
I have been driving my LS6 swap for the last 4 or 5 years. Mine is an 87 with the front torsion bars which makes the area for exhaust very tight. I don't know if your newer model has coil springs instead - which should make routing headers easier. These things are not real cornering brutes but at 2600# the acceleration is surprisingly quick. I found that an Exploder 8.8 will bolt directly to the leaf springs and the wheel bolt pattern matches the Toyota. My swap was low budget, its loud and with solid mounts it vibrates but it is always a thrill to drive. Good luck with your project. Mac
We have torsion bars too, made the exhaust work pretty tedious. Down the road I plan to upgrade to coils upfront and think I'm waiting to move before I put my 8.8 in.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Im doing a 87 yota s swap to and was wondering what kind of mounts and headers yall guys re using pm me with detals please

Quick Reply: 91 Toyota Pickup LM7 T56 swap?