Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro Radiator Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Camaro Radiator Question

I have a friend with a stock replacement aluminum radiator for a 67 Camaro and would like to use it for an LSx install in a 55 Suburban. Anyone who has installed an LSx engine in the 67-69 Camaro still use the stock radiator? If so, what about upper and lower radiator hoses? Read a post where a dual fan arrangement from a new LS1 was adapted to this radiator.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try this... read post #19. The stock fans are adapted to a direct-fit BeCool radiator for 67-69 Camaro (same dimensions).
Regarding the hoses, read post #18. I'm not sure that the ports on the BeCool are the same as those on your replacement. If they are, this post may apply to you. Also, I think that there will be a greater distance between your waterpump & radiator. However, the hoses I found to work with the direct-fit, had to be shortened, somewhat, Therefore, these hoses just may work for you.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-upgrades.html

Last edited by gMAG; 05-07-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the griffin ls swap rad for 275 bucks from summit...this thing almost runs too cool most days. For the money i couldnt see making some hokey hoses.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Not sure what 'hokey hoses' means, but the OP may be dealing with distances which are greater than the stock Camaro. He is planting the Camaro radiator into a 55 Suburban. For this reason, he may have to search for hoses with the correct length and angles.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks gMAG. Yours was where I read about using a stock LS1 fan assembly. Is the plastic part of the radiator riveted to the upper aluminum angles?

bad67ls. You got a part number of the Griffin radiator on Summit?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Chevy II
Thanks gMAG. Yours was where I read about using a stock LS1 fan assembly. Is the plastic part of the radiator riveted to the upper aluminum angles?

bad67ls. You got a part number of the Griffin radiator on Summit?
Yes, the plastic shroud is joined to the radiator with L-shaped aluminum channel, top & bottom.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

what i meant by hokey was running a 4 foot hose across the engine compartment to the origional location on the drivers side. the conversion rad puts them where they should be for the ls so making hoses is alot neater and cleaner looking. here is the rad...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-8-00009-LS
Old 05-07-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bad67ls
what i meant by hokey was running a 4 foot hose across the engine compartment to the origional location on the drivers side. the conversion rad puts them where they should be for the ls so making hoses is alot neater and cleaner looking. here is the rad...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-8-00009-LS
Gotcha. Good point!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A way to get away from your Hokey Radiator hose running across the front of the engine... is to use a Duel Pass Radiator, that way the inlet and outlet will both be on the Passenger side. The Water flow will take two passes through the Radiator.

But Most radiator will work an any swap.. the only things you have worry about is a) Size to fit the engine bay/radiator support, b0 inlet / outlet hose size and c) cooling capacity of a radiator, will it be enough to disapate the engine heat being Generated.

Doesn't really matter where or what it came out of, in the end, it is just a radiator. I have swaped in many different Radiator for other car. I put an 64 Impala radiator into a 57 Chevy, I used a BMW 1600 Radiator to cool a Vega, and the list goes on. If it can be made to fit and will cool the engine, your good, if not try something else.

BC

Quick Reply: Camaro Radiator Question