Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure light

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure light

I recently swapped a 5.3L LM7 into a '69 Chev. 4x4 and am still finishing up the little leftovers. I ran the oil pressure wire from the Vortec harness to the existing wire that used to live on the old oil pressure sender but the oil light stays on, although dimly. I have a mechanical gauge and there's no problem with oil pressure. I can fit the old sender to the new engine if necessary, but what's with the dim light? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Your idiot light sender was a hobbs switch which is open or closed based on a pressure setpoint. The LS sender varies resistance based on pressure. Replace the LS sender with your old idiot light sender.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can do! Thanks. I appreciate the help.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used my old sender at the location of the new engine. just take the LS ender, brake off the black plastic part, clean it up, drill and tap for the correct NPT threads of the old sender. then just run the wire from you old harness to the sender and it should work as it always has.

Option is to use the bypass plate above the oil filter. just drill and tap it, but most likely will have to extend the wire from the old harness to that location.

Others have brought adapter, but this is the budget way and it works without spending anything.

the PCM doesn't need the Oil Pressure input unless your running the new BCM and Gauges.

BC

Quick Reply: Oil pressure light