Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen III or Gen IV? OBDII electronics? DOD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gen III or Gen IV? OBDII electronics? DOD?

Hello LS1 Tech. Been lurking on here and lusting over this platform for some time now. Finally getting around to my first LS based project and my first post.
I've tried searching a bit but have yet to come up with any solid answers to my questions. Sorry in advance if I ask questions that have been answered a million times.

I'm trying to find info on the merits of the Gen III engines Vs the Gen IV in regards to my project. I will be mating an aluminum block 5.3 liter LS4 motor up to a 5 speed manual transmission and eliminating the DOD function while probably upgrading the cam at the same time. The car will have custom tube headers (unsure of diameter yet), a single 3" mandrel bent exhaust and it will have to retain all of it's emissions systems as it is a 1998 model year and in the state of NY (I need a functioning and happy OBDII port).

The motors are available in either the gen III or IV configuration so either is an option at this point. I'm thinking the electronics from an early LS powered (98 or so) F-body might be the best bet as far as availability/ease of tuning goes. Would it be possible to run the revised Gen IV motor on the the Gen III electronics? Any suggestions otherwise? I'm thinking LS6 intake with a cable operated throttle body.

Any info / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Georonimo

I'm trying to find info on the merits of the Gen III engines Vs the Gen IV in regards to my project. I will be mating an aluminum block 5.3 liter LS4 motor up to a 5 speed manual transmission and eliminating the DOD function while probably upgrading the cam at the same time. The car will have custom tube headers (unsure of diameter yet), a single 3" mandrel bent exhaust and it will have to retain all of it's emissions systems as it is a 1998 model year and in the state of NY (I need a functioning and happy OBDII port).
I assume you know the LS4 has a 60*V6 bellhouse right not the standard 90* SBC style.

Originally Posted by Georonimo
The motors are available in either the gen III or IV configuration so either is an option at this point. I'm thinking the electronics from an early LS powered (98 or so) F-body might be the best bet as far as availability/ease of tuning goes. Would it be possible to run the revised Gen IV motor on the the Gen III electronics? Any suggestions otherwise? I'm thinking LS6 intake with a cable operated throttle body.
Yes you can do Gen IV to III. You need to change the 58x reluctor wheel to 24x and 1x cam wheel to 4x. Or buy the lingenfelter converter box for couple hundred bucks. Then you can run the Gen III electronics easily just mount the Gen III knock sensors on the side of the block.

Pretty much only way to run DBC on a Gen IV motor.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bo185
I assume you know the LS4 has a 60*V6 bellhouse right not the standard 90* SBC style.

Yes you can do Gen IV to III. You need to change the 58x reluctor wheel to 24x and 1x cam wheel to 4x. Or buy the lingenfelter converter box for couple hundred bucks. Then you can run the Gen III electronics easily just mount the Gen III knock sensors on the side of the block.

Pretty much only way to run DBC on a Gen IV motor.

Thanks for the reply. I have yet to purchase any parts yet so hopefully I can avoid one of those pricey converter boxes. Bit it's good to know that is an option.

Whats DBC?
Old 05-29-2012, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Drive By Cable, cable Throttle Body instead of the wired ones.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Ahh... Thanks. I think that's the better way to go. Setting up pedal sensors and such sounds like a royal pain in the ****.

Sounds like I should just pick up a gen III motor and bypass the whole drive by wire mess entirely.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

You can pretty much get what you want, just wire it right.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Gen III has DBW as well depending on year and app.

Quick Reply: Gen III or Gen IV? OBDII electronics? DOD?